1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE but no QTS

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Robbers19, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Robbers19

Robbers19 New commenter

Looking for advice.

Whilst working in the independent sector I completed a PGCE with University of Buckingham. This course was specifically aimed at post grad staff in private schools and while there was an option to add an NQT year, that was a separate course.
    I have a PGCE but never undertook an NQT year and so I guess I am not a qualified teacher. Any recommendations for achieving QTS, despite my PGCE being completed years ago?

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You get your QTS BEFORE you do your NQT year. Nearly all PGCEs give you QTS, unless you fail the placements.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

But in January you were moving to a head of science post...why do you need an induction year now? Your career seems to be going well without the NQT year.

steely1 and Pomza like this.
  4. historyexcel

historyexcel New commenter

Do you know if it follows that if you did your pgce or equivalent abroad that you will be able to in some measure claim that towards your QTS on your return to the UK?

5. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Not all PGCE's give QTS, PGCE in FE doesn't, nor does PGCE in HE. It's also possible to complete the PGCE but not meet the standards for QTS

If your course of study didn't specify 'with QTS' you need to follow a course of study that grants it. If you are working in school, ask them to sponsor you for the 'assessment only' route, you will submit a portfolio of evidence and be awarded the status. The benefit of this is that once your NQT year is signed off, it's for life. The alternative route is QTLS, again you register but this time with SET, pay a fee, submit a portfolio of evidence which will take a year to collect. There is no NQT year. The downside of this route is you pay not only to register, but also to maintain your status on an annual basis. This is more usually aimed at post-compulsory education.

Without QTS or QTLS you don't have to be paid on the Teachers Pay Scale, you could be regarded as an Unqualified teacher and paid on that scale instead.

6. Robbers19

Robbers19 New commenter

Indeed it is! I'm just nervous about being a HoD without QTS. I'm confident in my abilities, but on paper it may seem bizarre

tuscanydays likes this.
  7. Robbers19

Robbers19 New commenter

Assessment only course sounds ideal, I shall have to explore which organisations offer it. Any ideas?

8. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

https://www.tes.com/institute/assessment-only-route-qts

I've put the link above on just as a for instance. This is to the TES option, but there are others, just do a search for Assessment Only QTS. You could gain your QTS in as little as 12 weeks. It's a bit of a no-brainer really, it doesn't matter in the Indy sector, but it would in state education.

tuscanydays likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Who is ever going to know? Other than those who appointed you and they clearly don't think it is bizarre!