1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE but no QTS...

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by dottyjo, Oct 6, 2015.

1. dottyjo

dottyjo New commenter

Any advice on my best approach to getting QTS would be gratefully received - I've got a first class textiles degree and over 15 years of experience working across age ranges , teaching art and textiles in schools and colleges as an art practitioner and lecturer. I got my pgce in 2012 while working in a FE college - however since then due to a change in circumstances I've been working mainly in pupil support and am currently a TA in a large secondary school. I'm desperate to be teaching again, ideally art or textiles in a secondary school and I'm after advice as to the best way to go about it - I've been reading about the assessment only route, anyone else done this?

2. hermitcrabbe

hermitcrabbe Established commenter

It seems tome you have three options.

a) You apply for QTS via Assessment Only. This c ould be a bit costly. Would your employer pay maybe? I have only ever met one person who did this. It took him three months and it was a paper chase.

b) You use a professional formation route to QTLS which has parity with QTS. This may be less costly
    (around £500). Again its a paper chase.

c) You could get a job in an independent school where they might well accept your degree and PGCE without any QTS/QTLS as they may well just recognse your PGCE FE as a stand alone teaching qualification.