1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE but never taught - can I get into teaching?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by kbeardie, Mar 2, 2016.

1. kbeardie

kbeardie New commenter

Hi, any advice?
    I completed a PGCE in 1998 in Secondary History, but did not go into teaching at that time, therefore no QTS. For the last 6 years I have worked in a primary school as a TA and have thought about teaching. I suspect I would have to start from scratch again - does anyone have any experience of this? I'm not really in a position to do a PGCE again due to cost, and not even sure if I can. I've looked on the gov. Websites and I think I am right that I cannot do return to to teaching without the QTS, or experience of teaching in a private school, for example.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I didn't think there were any return to teaching courses running. If you have been working as a TA that at least gives you some background and understanding of the system. Your PGCE is still valid so you can't do another.Do you want to do secondary or primary? You could try dong some supply work and build up your experience.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

4. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Did you need induction in 1998? Below copied from Statutory Guidance, NQT induction. My emphasis in bold.

If you log into NCTL you can see if you have QTS and it will confirm if you need induction:-
    https://teacherservices.education.gov.uk/SelfService/Login

Annex B: Exemptions
    Where a qualified teacher may be employed
    in a relevant school in England without
    having satisfactorily comp
    leted an induction period.
    References
    in Schedule
    Exemption
    Explanation
    Para 1
    A person who was already a qualified
    teacher on 7 May 1999.
    A teacher who gained QTS on or before
    7 May 1999 (even if they did not take up
    their first post until after September
    1999)

Kartoshka likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ha!

Well spotted, @phatsals ! I thought it was earlier than that, so well done for getting the right date.

So this means that our OP doesn't need to apply as a NQT but can go straight into a full job.

Best wishes

6. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

And hopefully their experience as a TA will give them confidence. Good luck to the OP.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes!

Come to Jobseekers for help whenever you're ready.

Best wishes - and thanks again @phatsals !

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You only need to do Induction if you gained QTS after 7th (or was it the 9th?) May 1999.

I know because I completed my PGCE on June 16th 1999 and was in the first cohort that had to do Induction.

The OP is thus not required to undertake Induction and can be employed as a supply teacher with no time limits either.

Kartoshka likes this.
  9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You could contact your Local Authority and see if they are running any Refresher/ Return to Teaching courses. They used to do them and they ran (1 day per week) for about 10 weeks, I seem to remember.