1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PgCE but failed QTS

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by gillandandy, Mar 16, 2016.

1. gillandandy

gillandandy New commenter

Hi,
    Please help. I have failed my teaching placements (Primary) but the university is going to award me a teaching certificate. What exactly does this mean? Can I still teach?

Regards,
    Ollybear

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, this is very distressing for you.

I'm afraid that my answer is not going to be what you want, either. In England and Wales, you will need QTS to teach in a maintained school. I know that schools are all going to be Academies soon, so this won't apply, but most of those too will require QTS. :(

So, some Academies, some Independent Schools and some Free Schools will employ staff without QTS. At a lower rate of pay usually. But most will requite QTS. Which makes sense really, when you consider it.

I think that what you need to do is go and talk to your Tutor at the University and ask for their advice. they will know what is the best path for you to take now.

(P.S. Next time, you need to scroll down the forum list and choose the most appropriate place to post - Career Clinic, for example. This forum is for people needing help with using the forums.)

Best wishes