1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Business Education: University of Manchester

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by padavis, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    just wondering anyone been to the assessment centre for the Business Education programme, been asked to attend next week and quite worried about it. I was specifically wondering about the Teaching Task and the Business Specific written task, and what was involved in these two aspects of the day. Is any help given on the day with regard to the teaching task? Should I cover alot regarding the written task?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks
    Paul

2. Hello all,
    just wondering anyone been to the assessment centre for the Business Education programme, been asked to attend next week and quite worried about it. I was specifically wondering about the Teaching Task and the Business Specific written task, and what was involved in these two aspects of the day. Is any help given on the day with regard to the teaching task? Should I cover alot regarding the written task?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks
    Paul

3. Hi Paul,
    Its six years ago since I did my PGCE at Manchester in Bus Ed so it might have changed slightly in terms of the interview! As far as I'm aware its still Dave Hall and Carlo Raffo who run the course (both are fab!)
    When I went for the assessment process you had to:
    • Do a short presentation on an issue in education/subject specific topic (we had time to prepare this in advance - mine was vocational vs academic courses)
    • Take part in a group discussion about things like behaviour management in the classroom - what would you do/why
    • A one to one interview - why do you want to teach style questions with Dave or Carlo
    • The written task was to just assess you basic literacy skills - we had to write about a teacher that had inspired you/the influence this had upon you wanting to teach.
    I wouldnt lose any sleep over it, the tutors are fab and very supportive (I am now a mentor in my school for trainee teachers!) I would recommend the Bus Ed PGCE at Manchester highly over another North West uni (!) without a doubt!
    Good luck :)