1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Bursary Unfairness!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Franjapani, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Please I urge you, if you have a passion for teaching, are considering teaching, or are a recent graduate/NQT, or even a more experienced teacher, please follow the link at the bottom of this post. As we all know the government decided to scrap busaries for the primary PGCE students of 2011/2012. They are now considering reintroduction of the bursary for the following year to meet hikes in tuition fees (unjustifiable, as students will be eligible for a higher tuition fee loan anyway). I do not normally promote that many causes, but as I feel particularly passionate about this cause I urge you to sign this petition, it will only take a minute of your time. Thank-you!
    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/162

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But your petition seems to be that 'because you didn't get a bursary, no one else should either'?

The bursary is justifiable in the sense it could be saved/invested by the student teacher to then help pay back the higher loan after graduating.

The petition does read a little like sour grapes to me, sorry.

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

At the risk of being controversial... There are too many teachers on the market for jobs anyway, and less trainees coming through this year might mean some of NQTs and unemployed experienced teachers who are floating around desperately trying to find jobs, get a better shot at some of the jobs...
    And secondly, if they are reintroducing the bursary, why not be canny and register for the year they bring it back? Too late for this year for them to do anything about it now anyway.... Sorry that's my opinion.

4. I agree, why should there be a bursary? I didn't get any financial help over my 4 year teaching course, no golden hello, no bursary and had to fund it myself.

5. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I think the issue isn't the fact that bursaries have been removed but the fact that they have been removed for just one year. If the Government felt that bursaries are unjustified and unaffordable, why are they proposing to bring back bursaries next year so that all PGCE trainees will receive between £4,000 and £20,000? Also, those who completed an SKE course this year will receive a bursary still, so on courses there will be some with a bursary and some without. It does to me seem extremely unfair to penalise just one year of trainees, it doesn't really make sense to me personally.

6. Same here Miss. Hills.
    I Agree with MissHills and Lilipad I'm afraid.
    As for it being unfair - life isn't.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I didn't get a bursary either. But then again I didn't pay tuition fees and did get a grant!

I don't mind that students get bursaries, goodness knows they need something to try to minimise the hideous amount of debt accumulated these days.

Thing is, they stopped it for a year, realised it wasn't a good thing so reintroduced it. I get that if it was your year that didn't get one you would be mightily peeved, but it isn't a reason for no-one else to have one.