1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Bursaries

Discussion in 'Science' started by lulabug, Jul 3, 2012.

1. I am looking to do a PGCE in Chemistry this September. I was wondering with the new bursary scheme is there a set amount of time you have to teach for after qualifying? I very much want to teach secondary science, but eventually I have thought about teaching at post 16 only and not necessarily chemistry. I may change my mind and decide to stay in secondary education long term, but I would like to keep my options open.
    I am assuming I won't just get given £20,000 to study and then be able to leave the profession soon after - and rightly so! I just am not sure yet what I want to do in the future and would rather have all the facts before I make my final decision about the PGCE course.
    If anyone knows the full terms and conditions for the bursary or could point me in the right direction I would be most appreciative.

2. I am looking to do a PGCE in Chemistry this September. I was wondering with the new bursary scheme is there a set amount of time you have to teach for after qualifying? I very much want to teach secondary science, but eventually I have thought about teaching at post 16 only and not necessarily chemistry. I may change my mind and decide to stay in secondary education long term, but I would like to keep my options open.
    I am assuming I won't just get given £20,000 to study and then be able to leave the profession soon after - and rightly so! I just am not sure yet what I want to do in the future and would rather have all the facts before I make my final decision about the PGCE course.
    If anyone knows the full terms and conditions for the bursary or could point me in the right direction I would be most appreciative.

3. The bursary is not linked to how long you stay in teaching. You will be asked to confirm that you will look for a teaching job on England, but that is about it. You are free to work in a secondary school for a year to completre induction, or you could move straight to a sixth form college and complete induction there (or not - it is not compulsory). In essence, this is a great way to fund a professional qualification with little 'compulsion' to repay the debt (other than the £9K fees).
    The Sage

4. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

Sad
    ly this government didn't have the testes to link giving £20k for a years training with golden handcuffs requiring you to teach in one of the few remaining state schools.
    Once you pass your PGCE ( or even if you cheerfully flunk it at the very end) you can go and sun yourself in Thailand, cook burgers for a roadside caff- even teach in an independent and no-one is going to chase you.
    And we are in austerity measures so they tell me!

5. Thanks to you both!

I have no intentions to take the money and run; but at the same time if I were tied to a certain period of time teaching after the bursary, I wanted to be as sure as I could that I was definitely happy to stay in secondary education that long!

To be honest Im disappointed in the government that they are not enforcing some sort of time period on the bursary.

As for me, I imagine I will stay and teach in state schools for at least a good few years after my PGCE - I guess I just wanted to know that if at some point I do decide to teach in a college that i have the option to do so, when, and I if, I choose to!

6. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

first class degree means better teachers = bolloks
    20K for training with the possibility of never teaching = absurd
    Government = cretins

7. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

Def agree with 2 and 3! But maybe not 1. Looked at the other way, do we want teachers who were bottom of the academic pile teaching our children?