1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE blog ??

Discussion in 'Personal' started by questionsandanswers, Aug 31, 2016.

1. questionsandanswers

questionsandanswers Occasional commenter

Hi
    I start my PGCE on 9th Sept and was thinking of creating a blog of some of the following...
    -how it goes weekly
    -talk about how new ways I have delivered lessons go

has anyone got any other ideas?
    Also, for the standards file would I beable to evidence the blog anywhere?? because i have heard that we have to meet standards so was wondering if I did make a blog if it could in come in use as part of the course? Or does anyone have any better ideas? :D

if it's a good idea please let me know what site to use to create it..as i have no clue :(

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Do not bother investing time in setting up a blog or even thinking about it any further. You will be far too busy once your course begins, which is as it should be. Then you must think about succeeding as an NQT. Put aside social media and prepare yourself now for the most difficult two years of your life to date.

Jesmond12, bevdex, wanet and 2 others like this.
  3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Good luck with the PGCE. I loved the year I spent on mine.

However, I would think carefully about the idea of a blog. Your PGCE year will be very hard work. Trying to keep up a blog will just mean extra kn*ckerment.

There is also the issue of confidentiality; something of prime importance when it comes to teaching. It won't be easy to write about your personal experiences of your PGCE year without breaching the confidentiality of your pupils and your colleagues. It's the detail of your experiences which are interesting, but the details involving others are exactly what can't be put into the public sphere.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

During teaching practise meet with others on your course regularly at the w/e and discuss things with them. Hardly anyone will read your blog and they are far more effort than most people who start them realise, your efforts are better directed into things that matter far more.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Writing a blog is often fraught with problems.
    Your mentor might not like to mentioning to the world at large that he was late for your meeting for the fifth time in a row.
    Your colleague next door might not be too thrilled to read she drives you nuts every morning.
    Parents might not want to read that their little darling has had three English lessons this week that have all gone **** up.

If your blog is popular and lots of people read it, you are unlikely to finish the course without several disciplinaries. If it isn't popular and no-one reads it, then there is no point writing it.

6. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Write a diary in a paper journal. I use one and some days it just has two words: the name of my boss, and a swear word. Can't put that online!

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wouldn't bother if I were you... for the reasons others have given.

8. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Keeping some sort of record of your PGCE year could potentially be a great idea. Whatever happens, it would be interesting to look back on it.

The trouble with teaching though is that it's so full on. You're constantly going at 100mph and you never get half the things done that you're supposed to have done. So finding time on top of all that to record your experiences can be a real problem.

I would go with ss's suggestion. Keep a personal journal of some sort.

wanet and ValentinoRossi like this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

If you're up to it I think it's an excellent Idea. It will cause you to review your experiences and may be of interest to fellow PGCE students. You could look back on it in years to come and nod wisely or cover your face and scream!

10. questionsandanswers

Thanks for all the advice everyone..you seem right, the year will be busy just as it is
    :eek:

wanet likes this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

What is your purpose in writing a blog?
    Who is your audience?

If you just want to reflect on your own experience, keep a diary. Most PGCE courses have some kind of electronic journal for you to evidence reflection. If you want somewhere to vent a little, these forums are pretty good for sharing and getting feedback. Only go for a blog if you think the subject matter and the way you intend to write about it will have or need an audience.

questionsandanswers likes this.
  12. questionsandanswers

You're right , my course does have an online jounal thing....and yes I guess this is a good place to vent rather than the uni one :)

Thank you :)

13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't mean to put you off if you are keen on the idea. I think a lot of universities and training providers suggest student teachers should blog without actually thinking it through. As soon as you start writing for an audience you are filtering and changing your experience - even if it is just to respect anonymity and confidentiality - and that doesn't always bode well for real reflection. Writing can be a good way to make sense of an experience but you don't need to self-publish for that.

If you have an interest in writing and publishing as a career, that's entirely different.
    :)

14. questionsandanswers

I guess I was just thinking of doing it like ..I am a slow writer so would probably waste a lot of time. Not a good idea haha