1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Biology

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Lovelife28, May 31, 2020.

1. Lovelife28

Lovelife28 New commenter

Can someone help me clear my confusion? I cleared my PGCE Biology interview. I have one unconditional offer from University of Greenwich, and another one is conditional offer from UCL( I have to clear GCSE equivalency exam for English and ILETS too, as I am an international student).

Which one do you think will be a better option? Does it really matter from where we do our PGCE? I really want to go for UCL but I am scared, what if I am not able to get grade5 in equivalency exam( required by UCL)?

It will be great if someone can help me.

2. laurab_940

laurab_940 New commenter

You will have to pass literacy and numeracy exams for both courses to get onto a PGCE?

3. Lovelife28

Lovelife28 New commenter

Thanks for your reply. I think equivalency test is different from the the literary and numeracy test. This test was given me to before the interview by individual providers.
    I am in dilemma whether to go for the equivalency test or not. I really don’t know how difficult will it be.

4. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

It seems that for Greenwich, your English is fine. But for UCL, they want you to achieve a grade 5 (when the minimum is 4 (parallel to a grade C)?

If you don't want to fork out money for the equivalency test and have that dooming pressure "what if I don't achieve a grade 5?" then I would scrap UCL and go with Greenwich.

However, if you have you eyes set on UCL because of their prestige, then go for it. I can't remember, but you have to accept one offer don't you? If you accept Greenwich on UCAS, it means UCL offer will automatically be declined and vice versa right?

I mean the problem is if you don't pass with grade 5 then UCL will say no and you'd have to wait another year to apply to do a PGCE.

5. nyaasmin14

nyaasmin14 New commenter

If you don't want to take the risk then don't. At the end of the day, where you got your PGCE won't determine how good of a teacher you are. I'm sure there are teachers graduated from UCL that might not be as great as someone who graduated from Greenwich - and vice versa.