1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Biology at Univ of Brighton

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by kingfisher221, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Hello there, I have been accepted as a international student into this course. I am quite scared at the moment as I am based up in Scotland just now....with no access to bursaries...I dont know if it would be worth moving down south. I couldnt get a place anywhere. Just wondering if I would be able to manage 20 hrs part time job whilst doing the PGCE or is it not feasible at all?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Hello there, I have been accepted as a international student into this course. I am quite scared at the moment as I am based up in Scotland just now....with no access to bursaries...I dont know if it would be worth moving down south. I couldnt get a place anywhere. Just wondering if I would be able to manage 20 hrs part time job whilst doing the PGCE or is it not feasible at all?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

3. The PGCE is a very intense and trainees who try to work, even part-time, often struggle and end up withdrawing or failing. As well as the planning, marking, finding and creating resources there will also be the university work to consider, such as tasks and assignments. Twenty hours part-time work is a lot and in my view unsustainable.
    James

4. Thanks for the reply James. So maybe I should not do it as I havent got any bursaries as Im a international!

5. Also James, Considering you are from Uni of Sussex...is it good to do a PGCE from Uni of Brighton? or as an full fee paying international student I should apply to Uni of Sussex? and any scholarships available?

6. Hi
    Brighton has a very good PGCE and at the end all trainees (from all providers) must meet the same standards - those for QTS. If you have been assessed as international for Brighton it is likely to be the same at Sussex - also at present we are not offering a Biology route for PGCE due to government changes in numbers. We may offer one in the future. As for scholarships I'm afraid that I haven't any specific information on those for Sussex, but they are very unlikely to be awarded for a PGCE, but by all means call Brighton to check.
    I'm not here to recommend my course over any other - my advice to all students is to check out each institution and see if you like what they have on offer. At interview, it is a two way process - as well as you being interviewed you are interviewing the institution.
    James