1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE at Open University?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by sweet_jane, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Hi everyone
    I am looking at the different ways of doing a PGCE in languages and one that seems interesting is the flexible one with the Open University. However, I do not understand how we can attend the placement into schools if we already are in a job. If we work in a school as an assistant for example, I guess that school would manage to give us some free time to attend these placements but if you are in a job (in a supermarket for example) only to pay for your bills I don't see how you can attend the placements... I hope this makes sense!!!
    Also, I read on the OU website that some people may be eligible for the £9000 bursary from the tda. Does anyone know what are the criteria to receive that bursary for the flexible PGCE?
    Thank you for your help[​IMG]

2. Hi everyone
    I am looking at the different ways of doing a PGCE in languages and one that seems interesting is the flexible one with the Open University. However, I do not understand how we can attend the placement into schools if we already are in a job. If we work in a school as an assistant for example, I guess that school would manage to give us some free time to attend these placements but if you are in a job (in a supermarket for example) only to pay for your bills I don't see how you can attend the placements... I hope this makes sense!!!
    Also, I read on the OU website that some people may be eligible for the £9000 bursary from the tda. Does anyone know what are the criteria to receive that bursary for the flexible PGCE?
    Thank you for your help[​IMG]

3. You cannot keep working through the OU placements. Part of the placements can be be done "flexibly" but some of it (e.g. 5 weeks of the third placement) have to be done full-time. Even working in a school, the school would have to fully support you and be willing for you to have extended periods out of school for your placements.
    You qualify for the Bursary (which is up to £9000) the same way as for the bursary for any other PGCE. Details are on the TDA website, if you are thinking of going into teaching I would recommend registering with the TDA, as they give lots of help and advice. Half is paid towards the start of the course, and half on completion. You are also eligible for the normal grants and loans. The OU PGCE can be done over up to 3 years, but it is esentially seen as a full-time course. IT has more flexibility for family responsibilities and can be provided more locally than some other courses, and it has a range of start dates.
    Basically unless you are disabled it is not possible to fully qualify as a teacher part-time. You will have to do some full-time placements. The work load is also tough, so it will be more than working 8 - 5 in school. The OU course though does give you the chance to manage your time, so you take longer to qualify but have less study/fewer assignments to do at the same time as being in school.
    I hope this helps.

4. Just to agree with bekabeech - at least parts of placements are full-time and non-flexible - by the final placement, you have to do 8 weeks continuous and full-time, so unless you have a weirdly generous employer, you'd not really be able to work at the same time. I was considering taking up part-time work when I started on the course but quickly realised it wasn't going to work for me! Temporary, maybe, but not permanent part-time.

5. Hi, I think I read in another post that you did the OU PGCE maths. I have an interview for that in a few weeks but am undecided on my presentation subject. Please can you give me advice. Thank you, Mel

6. I'm currently about half-way through my maths PGCE with the OU (on my level 2 placement at the moment).
    For the presentation, I had a look at the National Curriculum at KS3/4 to get an idea of what areas would be suitable so I'd definitely recommend having a look. However, the new NC is rather less restrictive, which is great for maths teachers but means that if you're still a bit lost for the presentation I'd try looking at the old NC, which lays out specific topics that should be covered at each key stage. If you're not sure where to find it, look here: http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-3-and-4/subjects/mathematics/keystage3/index.aspx?return=/key-stages-3-and-4/subjects/mathematics/index.aspx
    That gives you the new NC with the option to download the old NC (described as the "1999 programme of study").
    I did Pythagoras' theorem, as did one of the other people at my interview; to be honest I have totally forgotten what the other guy did!
    Hope that helps.

7. Thank you, Pythagoras was actually what I was originally going to do! I have read through the forums and am now slightly scared! Did you get any degree type questions on it??????

8. I'm not sure what you mean by degree type questions? Certainly I wasn't asked anything that was at the level of my first degree (which was in Computer Systems Engineering, not even Maths). Might vary with tutor though I guess?

9. Hi, had my interview on Wednesday and got a letter today saying that my application is being processed further so my next stage is the school interview. I am so excited! There was nothing in my letter about the school that has agreed to have me, do you think is it a standard letter that is sent out?

10. That depends - have you already sent them details of a school who are happy to have you, or did they just say they were progressing your application? If it's the latter, then yes it's most likely a standard letter and you may have a very very long wait while they try to find you a suitable school, unless you're proactive and go and find one yourself. I'm pretty sure that as soon as they decide your interview is OK, they move you on to the next stage but at that point they *start* approaching schools so they won't already have one lined up for you unless you had one lined up that you told them about. Good luck for the next stage!

11. Hi Choco_monkey
    I saw this post and I hope you don't mind me replying 2 and a bit years late!
    I too am applying of OU PGCE Math and wondered how you got on?
    The flexibility for me is key and I need to work full-time for a least another year before I can consider part-time work. I have been working for nigh on 10 years now so it'll be a big challenge but one that one will be hopefully inspiring in the long term.
    Many thanks,
    fuzzylogic1

12. hi
    i'm doing an open uni masters at the moment, to top up my degree and it helped me get onto a pgce course. I'm sure it depends on the course, but I have found the open uni very flexible and organised so far. Everything is clearly laid out and the forums are very helpful. Although it might be different for the pgce of course..I supsect like previous comments you would need to be in school full time towards the end of the course.

13. Hi tazsailing,
    Thanks for reply. Yes certainly towards the end I'll need to pack in this job and go full-time schooling.
    I have thought about doing additional OU modules to top up my Computer Engineering degree as well to make me more employable if and when I complete the PGCE part-time?
    I'll certainly need to do a refresher course as the last I studied Math was 10 years ago in Uni but it was at a slightly higher level than GCSE / A levels!
    fuzzylogic1