1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE at Bedfordshire University Starting 2012

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by MissPressie, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Hi all, I got offered a place on the Primary with Early Years PGCE at the University of Bedfordshire last week! Just wondering if anybody else will be starting a PGCE at UoB starting September 2012. Also to those doing Primary, are you worried about the last Ofsted report that Bedfordshire got for the Primary course? When i applied everyone told me how great UoB were for their teaching course, now that i've got a place on the course, there are rumours that the course may be shut down after our cohort! [​IMG] Talk about two extremes! What do you think!?

2. Hi all, I got offered a place on the Primary with Early Years PGCE at the University of Bedfordshire last week! Just wondering if anybody else will be starting a PGCE at UoB starting September 2012. Also to those doing Primary, are you worried about the last Ofsted report that Bedfordshire got for the Primary course? When i applied everyone told me how great UoB were for their teaching course, now that i've got a place on the course, there are rumours that the course may be shut down after our cohort! [​IMG] Talk about two extremes! What do you think!?

3. Hi, I trained doing a PGCE at bedford last year, its not as bad as it sounds. The reason they might be finishing the course is because of the negative feedback my cohort gave after the course ended. A lot of people felt unsupported. The actual lectures are really good, and the placements are very helpful too. The only thing is the way the tutors work with each other. They disagree on what is acceptable for a research report/essay. Some of them are more lenient than others which makes it a bit unfair. Also, a lot of people felt that we weren't given enough training in things like phonics and the foundation subjects, but then we had to do 3 phonics observations for our portfolio. Despite all that though, I managed through, came out with a good grade and am now a good/outstanding teacher in a permanent full time position :) don't let it put you off xx

4. Hi there

I'm currently doing a Primary PGCE at UoB and don't have too many complaints about the course. We were spoken to after the Ofsted report and apparently a lot of the negative comments were regarding the BEd course rather than the PGCE. It's not perfect and there are a few issues in my opinion but my school placement has been fantastic and I have learnt more from that than anything else.

5. HI Miss Pressie. I've been offered a place on the PGCE Early Years at UoB too!! I'm really looking forward to starting, but like you I am a little concerned regarding the Ofsted report! Have you accepted the place, or are you thinking of declining due to the Ofsted comments?

6. Hi,

I have got on to the PGCE General Primary course starting in Sept. I am still really looking forward to the course despite the Ofsted report. It is concerning though and I think the worry for me is if there is enough support overall. I had not heard about the course being shut down after our cohort, that is extreme news!

It is good to hear from someone doing the course now that there are not too many gripes with the PGCE!

What are other people thinking?

7. Hi there,
    I've got a place on the PGCE Primary course with community languages starting from September 2012. It is not good news about the report, however, I think once a school gets rated that bad, they tend to do better after that. I'm still looking forward to starting it :)