1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Assignment - History Scheme of Work

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TP85, Feb 22, 2011.

1. I'm doing a Primary PGCE and am working on a scheme of work for a wider curriculum assignment. I'm looking at 'Life in Tudor Times' with Year 4 but am struggling to find a way to include a session that teaches children about historical interpretation. I was wondering if anybody here could help in terms of having any suggestions about how to teach this aspect of the curriculum?
    Thanks in advance!

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Interpretation is a challenging skill to develop, and at Y4 level you really only need for them to understand that "there are two sides to every story".
    The one that obviously springs to mind is looking at whether Henry is a mean nasty bully for wanting to divorce Catherine of Aragon, or whether he is a poor misunderstood old chap who's just realised he loves someone else.
    Others - people who have actually taught the Tudors - might have other recommendations that might be more accesible.

3. Hmm, as tafkam says that is a challenge. I teach Year 4 and one of the things I always discuss is primary and secondary sources. In this way, you could discuss historical interpretation. I generally do this through 'the suitcase'. Pack a suitcase with historical items from the period - some primary (sort of! eg copies of a ration book - I was teaching WW2) and some secondary sources - and get the children to guess the time period/who the items might belong to. You might want to choose a different container than a suitcase - more appropriate to Tudor Times.