1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE assignment help!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by billy12345, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am writing an assignment which requires me to analyse the error and misconception of the question,

A child gives an answer of 0.6m when asked to find the area of a rectangluar shape with sides 0.2m and 0.3m.

Currently I can see the child has an understanding of:
    <ol>[*]the algorithum to work out the area of shape (base x height)[*]number</ol>
    They have little understanding of:
    <ol>[*]a 'squared' number and the iconic form (m2) [*]mutiplying decimals [*]place value system </ol>
    I am slightly stuck/confused and it would be amazing if you could help!
    Are there more misconceptions/errors that I haven't spotted?

Many thanks

2. Hi,

I am writing an assignment which requires me to analyse the error and misconception of the question,

A child gives an answer of 0.6m when asked to find the area of a rectangluar shape with sides 0.2m and 0.3m.

Currently I can see the child has an understanding of:
    <ol>[*]the algorithum to work out the area of shape (base x height)[*]number</ol>
    They have little understanding of:
    <ol>[*]a 'squared' number and the iconic form (m2) [*]mutiplying decimals [*]place value system </ol>
    I am slightly stuck/confused and it would be amazing if you could help!
    Are there more misconceptions/errors that I haven't spotted?

Many thanks

3. I would say your analysis is fine apart from one thing:
    I wouldn't refer to this as a "squared" number (that would be 0.2 x 0.2 or 0.3 x 0.3 etc). The error/misconception here refers to the units to use when giving an area (ie m^2 rather than m).
    Also I'm not sure I would split these into two:
    In actual fact, you have no evidence to show that they don't understand place value; they may totally understand that 0.06 and 0.6 represent 6 hundredths and 6 tenths respectively, it is just that they don't know how to multiply decimals.
    Or, alternatively, the child arrived at 0.6m by a) confusing area and perimeter and b) failing to include the shorter lengths and thus arrived at their answering by doing 0.3 + 0.3 = 0.6m. Thus their choice of units and handling of decimals is perfectly correct, but they do not know the difference between area and perimeter and even then do not know how to find the perimeter.
    If the question and answer is all you are given, then I'd definitely include in your response that you shouldn't assume to know what the child has done and should question them further before addressing the error(s) and misconception(s).