1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE as a 30 year old - how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Libramoon175, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Libramoon175

Libramoon175 New commenter

I'm hoping to get a place on SD salaried - but I'm not confident that I will from everything I've read.

I wouldn't mind doing a PGCE, but I don't see how it's at all feasible unless I'm missing something.

My required income each month is £1500 (rent and everything else).
    PGCE fees are most likely cancelled out by the £9000 bursary I would be eligible for.

So I'd have to magically pull about £20,000 from somewhere to cover my living expenses while I study, is that correct?

How do other people do it? I know I could get a part time job, but finding one to fit around my studies especially when I'm doing my placements will be difficult, and it won't earn me THAT much per month.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Bursary plus loan.

Bursary = £9000
    Loan = depends on usual income prior to course, and whether or not you have a partner and dependents; could be more than £8000

Check out the financecalculator: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator/y

Why would you even think of trying to keep the bursary in order to repay the course fees, unless you live with your parents/partner and pay no rent? Student Finance do charge interest, of course, but the loan is over such a long period you only end up paying back a small amount every month. Also, you only pay back if you earn over 21k (or thereabouts).

3. Lunar546

Lunar546 Occasional commenter

I decided to put off applying until we had enough savings to at least cover mortgage payments for a year, but that wasn't ever gonna happen, so in the end I just went for it! The bursary and loan went further than I thought I would! We tightened our belts, and went without. The worst part was the uncertainty that followed the training. I fortunately secured a job in the June, 2 weeks before my placement ended.

It is doable. Good luck!

Libramoon175 and pepper5 like this.
  4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Move somewhere cheaper for a year or two?

5. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

Another one here. As above, you don't use your bursary for your fees (though I am now paying back £200 a month) as you get a loan for that. Saved like mad, cut right back (cheap brands of everything, less going out, free activities), worked part time (this also keeps you going after you finish while waiting for a job). If you're in a good job now, your employer might be flexible - mine were amazing. Enjoy!

6. Libramoon175

Ah ok, it's starting to make sense now!

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Senior commenter

I did it at 29. Mr Bank Manager gave me a career development loan. Was borassic lint for the year. SD salried though. That's no life. It's basically teaching unqualified and then doing the QTS on top. A better course and long term career would be a proper PGCE. Apologies to those who did SD salaried, but it is true.

8. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Most Schools Direct course providers offer that opportunity to gain a PGCE qualification during the year, as well as Masters Credits. So whichever route you choose, you can be sure of a 'proper' qualification.

In my experience, (successful) SD teachers enjoy better luck when applying for jobs. They have so much more experience of school life and have often established good behaviour management skills, so naturally tend to perform better in interviews/lesson obs.

Plus, SD teachers often end up working in their placement school anyway - Leadership use this as an organic supply of NQTs (who are already clued-up in the particulars of their school...)

Most important: SD Teachers can get paid!!

9. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

If you do the salaried route you won't be eligible for a bursary.

10. cb324

cb324 Occasional commenter

Be aware a lot of salaried routes what u you to have at least a year experience in a sxhool, working as a TA or cover supervisor. May be different for other schools, but i know its like that at some schools. I did the salaried route, just be prepared to do more work and have more classes than the rest of u your peers. I had quite a lot of classes.

11. Libramoon175

Lots of helpful points, thanks. I've signed up with an agency and hoping to get a TA role soon. Maybe that will at some point lead to school direct, salaried. I will probably apply for the PGCE this year (2017/18) to cover all my basis. It seems as though there are positive aspects of both, so it will most likely be a case of which one looks most promising....

12. willcott

willcott New commenter

Something else to consider, if you are interested in training in the independent sector:

https://www.hmcteachertraining.org.uk/

Most school-based courses offer QTS so, once qualified, you are able to teach anywhere.

13. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

This is a good point - One that I forgot!

14. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Many schools will accept career changers with transferable skills as well.

15. mollymegan19

mollymegan19 New commenter

There is also TeachFirst who actually pay you a salary - but it is very chucked in at the deep end and you're on your own... in some quite tough schools. I gained a place but turned it down as I thought it had a good chance of turning me off teaching! But if money is a big concern for you it might be an option.

16. charl0tte90

charl0tte90 New commenter

I'm in the same position. Have been thinking about doing teaching for about 5 years now. I have now got a mortgage, bills to pay, and there is no bursary for teaching primary anymore. Struggling to figure out how I will possibly be able to afford it!

17. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I moved in with my parents for the year, after applying for (and being accepted by) the nearest university to their house. Might not be suitable for everyone, but it's another idea to throw out there.

18. Libramoon175

Thanks everyone - I have a TA position in a primary school that I start tomorrow. So I guess I'll see what happens from there. :)

19. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter Community helper

I don't see how the position of a TA correlates with the earnings you suggest you need in the first post?
    I would be cautious about taking a low paid job for a while, in order to attempt to get on a course. If you wanr to train, look carefully at your options. I wonder whether a PGCE (which remember is only 9 months) is a better option, and with a bit of thinking on your part, could be financially viable.

20. cb324

cb324 Occasional commenter

Depends how important money is but I worked as a TA for 2 years (whilst also working as a cover supervisor) and I found the experience invaluable. Being able to go class to class was basically countless hours of observing teachers without them feeling like they were actually being observed. Some of my best tricks came from watching teachers in the class as a TA. However I understand your comment about money as TA's get paid peanuts.