1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE application - secondary AND post-complusory ?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by cjsherlock, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Hi
    Not looking to open up a debate on the merits of secondary v post-compulsory PGCEs - but I was wondering about the practicalities of applying for both courses at the same institution.
    The application processes are quite separate - and so are the departments handling them as far as I can see - so my question is would they be aware of the dual application, and if so would it be prejudicial to either one of my applications ? ( I've sent in the secondary one and waiting to hear but still contemplating the post-compulsory one).
    My rationale is that at the moment I am genuinely undecided on my preference for FE /Secondary - and I would like to maximize my chances of getting on a course in September.
    Any thoughts ?

2. Hi
    Not looking to open up a debate on the merits of secondary v post-compulsory PGCEs - but I was wondering about the practicalities of applying for both courses at the same institution.
    The application processes are quite separate - and so are the departments handling them as far as I can see - so my question is would they be aware of the dual application, and if so would it be prejudicial to either one of my applications ? ( I've sent in the secondary one and waiting to hear but still contemplating the post-compulsory one).
    My rationale is that at the moment I am genuinely undecided on my preference for FE /Secondary - and I would like to maximize my chances of getting on a course in September.
    Any thoughts ?

3. Hi there,

Having spent a considerable amount of career teaching in the Post Compulsory area I would most certainly recommend (if you haven't already) gaining some experience in that area. Like both sectors very long hours (at times) although PCET can have more evening and weekend classes etc..

Another thing to consider is that not all FE establishments require you to hold a formal teaching qualification when starting out and you work throughout it in your first few years. See ifl.org for more info etc..

In relation to your question you need to be fully committed to whichever area that you decide to go into, especially secondary as the question of 'why' often comes up in interviews. Moreover the course is very intense and has a larger than average drop out rate due to commitment etc..

Depending on the size of the provider they may involve the other staff during assessment days / interviews as the basic qualities etc are required regardless of which age group you teach in. My advice is to hold back on the PCET application until after you have a decision for secondary that way you will have either made your mind up to which area you wish to go into and will not jeopardise your chances.

Good luck in whichever area you choose.

Andy