1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Application - refusal reasons

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by SELavr, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hi
    Just to explain, I now teach ELT overseas, so am out of the loop with regard to the UK system now, but am a member of TES to TRY and keep up-to-date.

My daughter has been applying for PGCEs this winter and has had a refusal which states her 'lack of diversity in education' as a reason.
    I am missing something here? Surely you cannot punish/refuse someone because of decisions their parents made regarding their education, or have we misunderstood something, or is this just a woolly statement?
    Any constructive comments gratefully received!

2. Hi
    Just to explain, I now teach ELT overseas, so am out of the loop with regard to the UK system now, but am a member of TES to TRY and keep up-to-date.

My daughter has been applying for PGCEs this winter and has had a refusal which states her 'lack of diversity in education' as a reason.
    I am missing something here? Surely you cannot punish/refuse someone because of decisions their parents made regarding their education, or have we misunderstood something, or is this just a woolly statement?
    Any constructive comments gratefully received!

3. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

That statement could just be a way of saying 'lacks the right qualifications' - i.e. her qualifications are in too narrow range of subjects. Your daughter should ask for clarification so that she can seek the additional qualifications necessary to get on the PGCE programme.
    Mark

4. Well she has all the required GCSEs in above required grades, 3 Alevels, an arts degree and a Masters, all with subjects/modules that are applicable to primary education. She has primary voluntary experience, has worked with children and does have police clearance! Reasonable list, she has been trying to get work, paid preferably but otherwise voluntary in local schools for quite a while, but here are no vacancies. If the Uni was specific with their regusal reasons it would help, but seems they won't be rather than can't.

5. Without knowing the context it is difficult for me to know precisely what is being referred to in this case. I would suggest that your daughter contacts the course provider so that they can clarify precisely what they mean by 'lack of diversity in education'. They may also be able to provide valuable feedback that will help your daughter if she makes further applications.
    I hope this helps.
    Graham Holley