1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Application 2016

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mariausmax, Nov 25, 2015.

1. mariausmax

mariausmax New commenter

I have an interview on monday for PGCE, i have been asked to bring an object to the interview..

I have a few ideas in mind however My heart is not set on them, i feel it wont be enough to get through the interview

'You will need to bring with you an object that you would use in a classroom with five to seven year olds to inspire a teaching session. You'll be expected to talk through how you would use the object and why you chose it.'

2. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

I too was given a similar task when I started my training in 2010. Although I took in a teddy bear, I would go for a story book if I had the chance again.

Story books are fantastic gateways to learning and inspire the imagination. From a storybook you can inspire art, solve mathematical problems based around that book, recreate their own story, orally retell the story, create role play opportunities, have PSHE/SEAL circle times about events in the book or the actions/feelings of characters etc. The possibilities of a good book are endless and appeal to all learners. Best of luck! :)

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

As they specifically ask for an object then perhaps a book is not appropriate.
    Try and pick something unusual/interesting or something that has a relevance to you.
    Historical artefacts or a piece of art - usually works well

4. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Have you been travelling or on holiday? A souvenir or foreign currency could be cool - you could talk about Geography and culture too.

missrturner likes this.
  5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Try a box with a small aperture wide enough for a hand. Place some autumnal textured objects within it. Talk about senses, creative writing, inspiration and the like.

6. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

A bag of autumn leaves. Something you brought back from a holiday. Something that belonged to your grandparents.

7. teachingspurs

teachingspurs New commenter

I was given five objects during my interview and asked how I would turn it into two cross-curriculum activities. I think you are getting off easy! Good luck!

8. pgcekate

pgcekate New commenter

Hi, sorry if this is off topic...but I have secondary PGCE offers from Cambridge and UCL but really can't decide which would be best to choose. My undergrad is from Durham so is it better, employment-wise, to show a contrast (London)?

9. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Really the question is where do you want to teach London or East Anglia? Most NQTs get jobs close to where they train as they know the schools and the area