1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE and QTS or QTS only?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Robin94, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Robin94

Robin94 New commenter

Can anyone recommend If a PGCE is worth the hassle? Will it make me more employable?

Also I’m not sure if I can afford the non salaried route when I’m 25 and renting in London.

I’m in a bit of a pickle at the moment.

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

If you ever want to teach abroad you need the PGCE with QTS.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The pgce is the academic qualification. What do you want to teach? There are a number of bursaries available for secondary subjects and you there are salaried routes that also offer a pgce as well

4. Robin94

Robin94 New commenter

Hello, thank you for your replies

I wish to teach primary.

5. Robin94

Robin94 New commenter

I don’t necessary want to work outside of England but I don’t know what the future entails, so I wouldn’t rule it out completely.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

In terms of employability not having a PGCE gives you decreased opportunities. If the only reason you don’t want to do it is you can’t be bothered to do more academic work then it’s worth the effort. If the reason is that financially, there is no way you can afford a PGCE route whilst renting in London then that answers the question, but also asks if you need to be renting in London for the duration of the course. So there are several variables and you have to weigh up which of them is more important to your future. My personal advice is to do the PG if you can, but if you don’t have the financial wherewithal or familial capacity to find a way to do it then it very much answers your own question.