1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE and PGDE diff

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by meaow, Apr 21, 2007.

1. hi all,
    i've being accepted into secondary PGCE Maths course. Could anyone tell me what the difference in the PGCE and PGDE is? Can you teach abraod with a PGCE?
    thanks

2. hi all,
    i've being accepted into secondary PGCE Maths course. Could anyone tell me what the difference in the PGCE and PGDE is? Can you teach abraod with a PGCE?
    thanks

3. As I understand it, PGDE is specific to Scottish universities. Both PGCE and PGDE are normally acceptable qualifications for teaching abroad, but since each country (and state/province within a country, such as in US, Canada and Australia) has its own regulation, you need to check with relevant authorities.
    Scottish PGDE differs in many ways from PGCE in the rest of UK - in particular, they have very specific rules about entry qualification and what subject you can teach. For example, with PGCE (and QTS) there is nothing to stop you teaching a subject which you didn't do for PGCE (e.g. teaching Maths if you only did Physics, provided your school is happy about it), in Scotland you normally have to have a degree in the relevant subject and have studied it at PGDE or undergraduate teaching degree such as BEd.
    The high academic standard of Scottish PGDE is well known and respected.

4. At present I hold a PGDE in Art & Design / Graphics. This was through the University of Bolton, although I was training at an associate college. I like many others studied and got the required degrees and GCSE's etc in order to learn how to teach.
    Since completing the course things have been different. Because you do a PGDE you do not qualify for QTS, did not get a GTC number and therefore your options were limited to further and higher education jobs. This was confirmed to me by the now gone GTC who told me to "phone the TDA". They too confirmed that really the only ooption if i wished to teach in Secondary education was to enrol on either a PGCE or a GTP course.
    Of course Art is not seen as a priority subject and so my application onto a GTP course has been unsuccessful.
    The problem I see is that while those who get onto a PGCE course can then choose to teach in either secondary or further education. If I have the ability to teach A level students why can I not teach GCSE or lower?
    If anybody has an answer for this.... let me know