1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE and NQT year completed ... chances of teaching overseas?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by BirdBath, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hi
    Many overseas job adverts seem to ask for 2 year's minimum experience. I have a PGCE. QTS and completed my NQT year last summer. Will this experience be enough? Have had to take this year off due to family commitments but am looking for job overseas from Sept. Am secondary physics. Have a non-teaching husband (he's probably employable in most places) and two school age kids. We'd love to do this for the experience, not necessarily the financial reward. But equally don't want to be left bankrupt....
    Any thoughts very gratefully received!

2. Hi
    Many overseas job adverts seem to ask for 2 year's minimum experience. I have a PGCE. QTS and completed my NQT year last summer. Will this experience be enough? Have had to take this year off due to family commitments but am looking for job overseas from Sept. Am secondary physics. Have a non-teaching husband (he's probably employable in most places) and two school age kids. We'd love to do this for the experience, not necessarily the financial reward. But equally don't want to be left bankrupt....
    Any thoughts very gratefully received!

3. From my limited experience i would say not alot unfortunately.

When i first qualified i looked into international jobs, and did get offered one but afterwards realised it was a school with a VERY poor reputation.

I have come to realise that most of the better schools are looking for at least 2 years experience..

However if you look hard enough you may be able to find one, so i wouldn't give up just yet.
    No harm can be done emailing and asking the school if they would accept you.

4. I completed my PGCE in 2009, and got a job in the June before I even got my certificate..... Didn't complete QTS, or NQT! Was in a top school in Bangkok for 2 years... Returned to the UK last year, lecturing now whilst I complete my QTLS with IFL. Iv been successful whilst applying for international posts around the world, and Iv recently accepted an offer in China. I wouldnt stress about it...

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have sent you a PM, BirdBath.