1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE AND DYSLEXIA

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by SAVATAGE, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Please can you help me,
    I am a mature yet still good looking male PGCE student in my second placement, week 2. Everybody said it would be hard, and they weren't kidding.
    Anyway one of my charges is dyslexic. Can anyone recommend good web-sites/activities/advice for how to differentiate for this condition, what questions for me to ask etc please ?
    Sensible replies welcome.
    Sav

2. I'm dyslexic and the most useful thing a tutor can do for me is used coloured backgrounds for the PPTs - this stops the words moving around as much and means my eyes arn't as strained. I also prefer my worksheets and handouts on coloured paper - your student may have had a test to find out what there prefered colour is.
    Other tips are
    Highlighting important words
    Presenting an overview of the lesson at the start ofthe session so the students know where the lesson is going and why they are doing certain tasks
    Colour code groups of infomation - this helps aid memory
    Dyslexic often have a poor short term memory so take longer to copy work form the board so leave the PPT slides up for as long as possible and make a hand out so the student has something to take away and read
    Over learn - repeat the same piece of learning numerous times to help the studnet consolidate the infomation

3. Thanks very much. My child is in Year 5.

4. Have they got a personal learning plan?? If so the school should have a copy of this that should say what would be useful for them! Also could you ask the child what they would find useful?

5. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

If the pupil has been diagnosed with dyslexia they should have seen an educational psychologist. Find out if this has happened, and if it has there should be a report following the ed psych's assessment with suggestions to support this particular pupil.
    I would also say that the class teacher should be giving you a lot of information on the strategies already in place. In your position, this should be more about learning and applying the strategies and support which the SENCo / teacher / ed psych have already decided upon, rather than feeling that you have to work out what to put in place.