1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE and a 2:2 Classification.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by OfficialRyan, Jun 3, 2012.

1. OfficialRyan

OfficialRyan New commenter

Hey guys and gals,

It's becoming increasingly unlikely that I will be attaining a 2:1 within my current undergraduate degree, and my PGCE course is asking for a 2:1. I've only got my dissertation left, but I need 77 on that to get a 60.1 overall aha.

So I guess my question is, what are my chances of getting onto the PGCE?

Do any of you know any friends, work colleagues etc who have entered the teaching profession, through the PGCE route with a 2:2?

2. OfficialRyan

Hey guys and gals,

It's becoming increasingly unlikely that I will be attaining a 2:1 within my current undergraduate degree, and my PGCE course is asking for a 2:1. I've only got my dissertation left, but I need 77 on that to get a 60.1 overall aha.

So I guess my question is, what are my chances of getting onto the PGCE?

Do any of you know any friends, work colleagues etc who have entered the teaching profession, through the PGCE route with a 2:2?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well I did a PGCE with a 2:2, but that was 16 years ago.

If the course is asking for a 2:1 then presumably that is what you have to get.

Mine didn't specify a grade. It was secondary maths in the mid nineties. If you didn't have a criminal record for crimes against children, didn't have 6 heads and expressed a vague interest they let you in. I moved to primary a while ago...

Not sure this was any help at all!

4. OfficialRyan

See, that's what I thought.

I've been taken into consideration, so i'm going to sit and wait on the results of my dissertation, and I think that will show me whether I have a masters ability to write or not I guess.

5. OfficialRyan

Failing that...

If anyone is aware of any other routes into teaching, apart from the SCITT and GTP programmes, feel free to let me know!

I'd seriously consider another undergraduate degree in primary teaching, but strangely, i'm unable to fund 8.5k for four years!

6. bex6668

bex6668 New commenter

I have just got on a Primary PGCE course with a 2:2. It just depends on the university some require 2:1's whilst others will except 2:2's. I think as long as you are passionate and dedicated to becoming a teacher you will get there. You may just have to look at other courses.
    Bex

7. I got a place on a PGCE with the condition of getting a 2:1, I achieved a 2:2 and they still let me in. When I finished my course I applied for 10 jobs, I was offered interviews from 3 of them, got through to the final 2 for 2 of them and got the job at the third. This was only 2 years ago so don't think that you've reached the end of the road if you don't get a 2:1. I was so disappointed when I got a 2:2, I was in the same position as you and needed 72% but got 70, couldn't believe I was so close! People will take other things into account apart from your degree result.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Once you have your PGCE, most primary schools won't even glance at your degree result.

9. I got onto my PGCE with a 2:2 and if we were to look at league tables etc (which I didnt as I didn't even know about them being irish) it is one of the best ones out there. Each uni differs and some will overlook certain things if they think you are the best fit....after all they have to not just train you but train as many people as they can who will take up employment after in the teaching sector. Do your best, then see what happens.

10. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I did a PGCE with a 2:2 - and in a non-NC subject. I've been teaching three years now, just secured myself a management job. No-one has ever commented on my degree classification!

11. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I do agree no one gives a s***about your degree result once you are a teacher. BUT your issue could well be getting on the PGCE. I thought one of the governments big ideas was that all teachers should have at least a 2.1.

12. Each university's criteria is different. You will need to check all the ones that are an option for you. I had a similar issue, in that my degree is in a non-NC subject, and this meant that some universities would have rejected my PGCE application without looking any further. I know Manchester (for example) used to specifiy a 2:1 AND your degree and A' Levels were supposed to give a 'good spread' of the NC subjects!
    As I said, there will be Unis that will take a 2:2, but you will need to check the criteria of each one individually.

13. I think a lot of it comes down to the university. Our head often interviews at a few local universities and she's said it is becoming increasingly hard to get accepted onto the course even if you have the grades they've asked for. Have you applied already and been given a conditional offer? If not you may find that you need a lot of experience or something that makes you stand out to give your application some meat. Good luck!

14. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

If you have been given a conditional offer already then you have already impressed them and your place has been earmarked, so chances are even if you get the 2:2 they might let you on. I imagine there are lots of people who look set for a 2:1 and then drop to 2:2 in their final year.

15. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I got on middle years 7-14 with a 2:2 4 years ago. A friend managed to get on a PGCE Primary with PE with a third this year!!!! Did have good exerpience as a cover supervisor and I imagine good references! He also went in to meet them before submitting his application, think his persistance helped!

16. OfficialRyan

Just an update for all you phenomenally helpful people - I GOT IN!!

17. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

well done that's ace :)

18. That's brilliant, well done and thanks for updating.

19. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Great news! All the best for the course.

20. Fantastic, really pleased for you!
    What did you get in the end? A 2.1 or a Desmond (2.2)?