1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE aftermath

Discussion in 'Primary' started by duncanrichardgates, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I had a PGCE interview today but didn't make it past the first stage.

At the moment, I'm completely torn between 'I can learn and bounce back from this' and 'maybe I just don't have what it takes'...

It was only today so I don't get the official feedback for another couple of weeks - at the moment I'm just interested to know how many people here have been in this position and how you've dealt with it...

2. It is difficult! Lots of competition out there at the moment. The fact that you have come to TES rather than to the pub makes me think that it is something you care about.
    Use it as a positive, think about the things you could have done better for next time, get some school experience, make a positive contribution and make sure they cant say no next time!

3. I'm dreading that sort of thing when I apply for 2012, I think I'd be devastated at first but then realise that theres lots of other places out there that might want me. Different places have different standards. And maybe you were unlucky and were interviewed on a day where there were some really exceptional candidates.
    Out of curiosity, what did you have to do in the first stage? Where did you apply? Any ideas on why they might not have put you through?

4. First stage was 5-min lesson presentation followed by 40-min written response to an unseen article.

I genuinely don't know what went wrong - my only instinct is that I either misjudged the presentation in terms of target age or lacked something in the written part. Thing is, it's the first time I've ever had one and I really had no idea what they expected...

Thanks for the responses, people xx

5. Gosh, that was a tough first stage. Theres some universities do group work, 20 minute written response and an interview all in one stage which I think I'd prefer rather than lots of different stages with exams and presentations.

6. The second stage had one-on-one and group interviews, I just didn't make it that far.

7. What really worries me is that I've got about two months school experience and never really got a chance to make a positive contribution, since I never got to the interview stage proper. Are there many people out there who've failed once and succeeded on another occasion?