1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE 2011 for an international student

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Baharsa, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Hello,

I want to apply for PGCE in Science:Chemistry for 2011.I am a non-EU student and am not liable for the tax-free bursary, hence I have to pay the international tuition fee (10,000 £) plus my maintenance! So, now that I have to invest such huge amount of money on my studies, I would prefer to spend it on a high-quality course at a good university so I could get the most out of it. It would be great if I could know which universities are the best in this particular subject. Referring to the report provided by Ofsted, I have so far considered Exeter and Nottingham, and Newcastle because I've heard that it's a good city to live in with friendly and young people, and Cambridge as I am currently living in Cambridge. I'd prefer to relocate for a city where there would not be so difficult to find a job afterwards. I would love to be able to go for a GTP, but have no idea where from I can start (I have permission for full-time work in UK for at least a year). In addition, I also do not yet know if I should sit the equivalency tests for GCSE in maths,English and Science or not. I have a BSc in Chemistry from Italy, TOEFL Paperbased score 600 and my high-school diploma is in the field of Natural Sciences from Iran. I did not find the information on the GTTR website and the link below very helpful: http://www.bath.ac.uk/education/postgraduate/gtp/gcse_equiv_quals.pdf
    I contacted NARIC and they said that they would only certify that my qualifications are quivalent to PGCE but they won't be able to comment on the grade as the grading system varies from a country to another.
    Any guide/help will be highly appreciated for I am really confused and not much time is left..!

Thanks alot in advance,
    Bahar