1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pets at International schools in Thailand

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Charlotte86, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Charlotte86

Charlotte86 New commenter

I have been offered a job at an international school in Bangkok with the option of living on site in a house or off site. Ideally I would love to take my cat as I don't plan on moving back from Thailand in the foreseeable future. Does anyone have any experience of doing this and whether schools allow you to have a pet on site? Thanks in advance

2. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Can't give you much advice on taking your cat but I would advise caution when saying you don't plan on moving back in the foreseeable future.Having being in the international circuit for a long time I often see new teachers come out to their first job vowing never to return and yet leaving sometimes before the year is out. Not saying this would happen to you but if you're coming from UK might be a good idea to have someone look after your cat for a while until you have tested the water and know for sure that this job is for you.Getting your cat back to UK from Thailand might be harder than you think and you might not have the money to do so if you are leaving at short notice. Don't put yourself in a position you might regret and be sure-really sure before you bring him or her over.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  3. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Sounds advice. I'd wait until at least Christmas to see how things go before trying to get your cat brought over.

4. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

First thing I would do is ask the school that has offered me the job.

5. schmedz

schmedz Occasional commenter

Good advice kemevez.

I think OP will find many Thai schools amenable to cats, and a few even accept dogs on campus. At our school they love having cats because they keep the rat population down!