1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Petrified 12 week scan will show there's no baby!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by sarah9, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Hello all,

As the title suggests really, I'm getting so paranoid that despite all this morning/any time of day sickness, the numerous pg tests I did in the first couple of weeks and even one this week, sore boobs I'm having (and have never experienced before, being a lucky person whose never suffered PMT) that I'm just imagining and convincing myself that I'm pregnant! Has anyone else felt this way or am I just nuts?! I have had the letter saying the scan is a week on Monday, and while I hope it will put my mind at rest, part of me dreads going to it to be told there is no baby, or an empty sac, or it's a missed miscarriage. I guess any of these things are possible, but does anyone know statistically what the chances are? Sorry to unsettle anyone else, but I'm going crazy with worry over this at times!

Thanks, Sarah

2. Hello all,

As the title suggests really, I'm getting so paranoid that despite all this morning/any time of day sickness, the numerous pg tests I did in the first couple of weeks and even one this week, sore boobs I'm having (and have never experienced before, being a lucky person whose never suffered PMT) that I'm just imagining and convincing myself that I'm pregnant! Has anyone else felt this way or am I just nuts?! I have had the letter saying the scan is a week on Monday, and while I hope it will put my mind at rest, part of me dreads going to it to be told there is no baby, or an empty sac, or it's a missed miscarriage. I guess any of these things are possible, but does anyone know statistically what the chances are? Sorry to unsettle anyone else, but I'm going crazy with worry over this at times!

Thanks, Sarah

3. Totally normal - I spent the week or two before our first scan composing the "bad news" text in my head to those few people who we'd already told about the pregnancy.
    Don't look at statistics, don't google miscarriage, missed miscarriage or anything else remotely conneced to bad news. You will worry yourself senseless (I did). Just keep in mind that whatever happens there is nothing you can do or could have done about it, nothing, honestly.
    Incidentally, ours was fine and the most amazing thing I've ever seen - I hope yours will be too :)

4. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

I was so scared that I'd accidentally made it all up...but it was all the more amazing when I went and it (sorry, he) was actually there.
    Also had my twenty-week scan today, and was suddenly gripped by the fear that I'd dreamt it all, so I'm not sure that it goes away, either. Just sit tight and don't worry, if possible.

5. mermy

mermy New commenter

It's totally normal. I was going bonkers just before my scan. Then on the day the first thing I said was "Is this a baby?". D'oh, what did I expect? A puppy? Don't look at the statistics and even if then see them this way - MOST pregnancies result in healthy babies, so try not to think of the minority.

6. I didn't think i was really pregnant until I saw it on the screen- laughed hysterically and irritated the sonographer who asked me if i wanted to come back in a bit! But suddenly, it hit me that oh my god there was a baby! Hope yours goes well- I'm sure it will. Mine is currently lying on her playmat squealing to herself :)

7. I'm 23 weeks, and still occasionally think: 'What if I'm making it all up?' Then I have to remind myself that I've now had two scans, baby is kicking and I am increasingly looking like a waddling duck!
    I think it is completely normal to not quite be able to believe that something you want so much is actually happening. Incidentally, I think the statistics are vastly in your favour if you've had no bleeding and no previous mc's. I still google to see what the statisical chances are at my stage! Good luck with the scan and try to enjoy it. I was so worried that it took me ages to calm down and really appreciate what I was seeing, and then it was over!

8. God I remember it well. I was also terrified before all of my scans. As a previous poster said, it's best not to go anywhere google and just try and relax [I know that's easier said than done].
    There is nothing wrong with the feelings you are having, it's part of the pregnancy rollercoaster. Hope it all goes well for you x

9. I had 2 scans before my 12 week scan and I was still petrified- thought anything could have happened. It is totally normal and am sure most mums feel exactly the same, I felt so sick on my way to hospital... it was a bit weird seeing a real life human inside there! It is scary at all stages of pregnancy though- but the further along you get the better it gets- 31 weeks today and still breath a sigh of relief every time I feel a kick.
    No bleeding? Chances are you're fine.
    Not that you need it- but good luck.

10. Totally normal. My husband says I start panicking a few days before every appointment - first it was before the scans (all fine), then just before each midwife visit (what if there's no heartbeat?) and sometimes just general worries (can't remember when I last felt a kick - this is because they happen mostly when I'm relaxing so of course I don;t feel much in work, and when I do I'm so busy I kind of forget about it - bad mummy!). I set myself lots of milestones to reach and every little one relaxed me a bit more. Now at 35 weeks and feel like things may actually go to plan and I'll be bringing a baby home soon. To worry is completely natural.

11. SNAP!! my scan is a week on monday too and it cant come quick enough! am hoping with all my might that it goes well and then i can stop worrying! i think it's because we go to the doctors expecting them to confirm it and all they say is oh congratultions if you've done a test thats good enough for me!

here's hoping a week on monday goes well for both of us! xxx

12. it's normal, and with the internet out there and all the extra information we have (positive and negative) it's really easy to read too much and get worked up about things. my OH and midwife have banned me from googling anything pregnancy related due to me working myself up. to be fair tho, the hospital started my paranoia by telling me "not to get my hopes up" and that i was "high risk miscarriage for several reasons" so I blame them!!
    had two scans now and baby was amazing on both - on the 12 week scan it had its hand up waving and we even saw fingers!! i'm now in my 17th week and listening to the heartbeat on the doppler ever day for about 15-20 seconds just to keep reassuring myself.
    so, perfectly normal and fingers crossed for a week monday [​IMG]

13. Oh wow thanks so much for all your replies! It clearly isn't just me who thinks this way. No, I haven't had any bleeding or pain or anything sinister, and part of me is desperate to have the scan to see proof that there really is a healthy baby.
    Bunique- what you said about composing the bad news text resonates wit me- I had been wondering how to explain if it was bad news at the scan to people we had told as well.
    Happycat- how nice that we have our scans on the same day, let's try to both post that evening to say how it's gone, and let's be positive that it'll be fine for us both!
    Fingers crossed to all of us who are waiting for scans and indeed giving birth, let's hope for heathy bouncing babies all round. As someone said the statistics are in our favour once you get to 12 weeks.

14. wow spiderkin didnt realise you could get so much detail on the 12 week scan - sounds great!

sarah9 yes wll definitely post after the scan! like you say lots of posiitive thoughts for all of us! xxx

15. Read this thread today, as well as another post Sarah put on winter babies, and now i feel inconsoable. My scan is on fri, im terrifried. I have had a terrible afternoon/evening and now im just in bits. Im an extremely emotional and erratic person at the best of times and now i just feel beside myself. I juat want to get into bed until friday mornin in the hope that will make sure everything is ok!

16. oh no - just realised the sarah who posted on winter babies is the one from here - really sorry sarah - cant imagine how you must feel :(

cherub please dont panic - like sarah says it is rare to have a mc and not have any signs. wish there was something helpful i could say - just hope time goes quickly for you until your scan xxx

17. Cherub-I'm very sorry that my post has caused you worry. I think that deep down, I knew something was wrong- the fact that I started this thread in the first place suggests I was more paranoid than the average pg woman. All my symptoms stopped at 10 weeks, literally overnight and it gave me a real feeling of unease. What happened to me is very rare indeed, the staff were amazed I'd had no bleeding at all.
    So far you still have everything to be hopeful for, so please don't let go of that hope. The stats are still much in your favour. Save being inconsolable for people like me who really are going through the loss. :-(
    I didn't mean to be selfish by posting earlier, I mainly did it because I didn't want my due date details being left on the thread.
    I genuinely wish everyone else the best of luck with their pregnancies and promise not to post any more on pregnancy threads until I 'belong' on them again.

18. i know that post wasnt directed at me but please dont feel you need to say sorry and of course you can post on here - this forum is full of ladies who have been through difficult times and/or who are still trying to get pregnant - i understand if you feel you need a break from posting on here for a while just so long as you know that we are all here to listen if you need to talk :) take care! xx

19. Just wanted to add my voice to happycat's - Sarah, I think all your posts have been really brave and selfless. I don't think any of us would remotely compare the anxious anticipation pre-scan to what you're going through. I'm so sorry about your news and hope you are taking the time to look after yourself xxx