1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

petits filous natural discontinued - what to use now!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by all_heart, Apr 18, 2012.

1. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

We've been using these yoghurts as I've heard the sugar content in the flavoured ones are high but the plain natural yoghurts I see in the shops seems to be full of 'friendly bacteria' which I guess isn't good for LO at their age(???)
    What are some of the best yogurts out there for under 1 year old?
    Does any one know how much sugar per 100g we should be looking for?

Thanks

2. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

We've been using these yoghurts as I've heard the sugar content in the flavoured ones are high but the plain natural yoghurts I see in the shops seems to be full of 'friendly bacteria' which I guess isn't good for LO at their age(???)
    What are some of the best yogurts out there for under 1 year old?
    Does any one know how much sugar per 100g we should be looking for?

Thanks

3. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I just give baby normal natural yoghurt.Never bothered with Petit Filous because of the sugar - and because there's not enough in them!

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Neither of my kids ever had petit filous (unless someone else bought them) because of the sugar.
    My daughter is 11 months and has the same yoghurts as her brother who's nearly 3 - either Danone Activia, Yeo Valley, Rachel's organic, and Muller rice. Whichever one of those is on special offer usually [​IMG]

5. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

my 15 month old has been having these for yonks and loves them

http://www.plum-baby.co.uk/store/creamy-fromage-frais.html

6. The "friendly bacteria" are those already found in the gut so I can't see it would be a problem giving them to babies?

7. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

All the plain yoghurts contain are 'live pro biotics' thats safe to give a baby? If it is then that'll be easy, I puree my own fruit so can add to the plain yoghurt.

8. I give normal full fat bio yoghurt to mine. She's 2 now but has had it since first weaned. I make my own, but it's just the same as shop stuff. It's never done her any harm - in fact she's currently in the midst of only her 3rd ever sickness bug and it seems that's good going compared to my mates kids so maybe the friendly bacteria are giving her a helping hand! who knows

9. handrail

handrail New commenter

We use Muller Little stars or tescos own. Also my LO loves greek yoghurt and I add pureed fruit or a spoonful of jam or honey.

10. Almost certainly - many of us go through a period of lactose intolerance after sickness bugs as the gut lining is damaged - I understand probiotics can assist in the gut's healing process.

11. Sh*t. I've been giving my child the cheap version of Petit Filous for ages. Didn't even think about sugar, oops.

12. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

I'm glad this question is helping others too!

I get days where I go crazy over 'don't give her this too much sugar etc...' then the next day I can be 'a little won't hurt'. There is so much different advice out there. I guess if I avoid un-necessary sugars I can be more relaxed over other things.

I'm going to try bio yoghurt now

13. I do too. I don't really care about the sugar content. Bad mum? Maybe... his teeth haven't fallen out yet.

14. In fact, he was at the dentist on Monday and the dentist said keep doing what you're doing. So I'll carry on with the high-sugar petits filous. [​IMG]
    And I'll keep swigging the Irn Bru.

15. plum yoghurts to begin with and then progressed to Rachels. No added sugar in them x

16. Litte D has never had a Petit Filous. Not just because of the sugar but because there are a zillion ingredients, half of which sound very chemical. We use Rachels Organic First Yogurts, Muller Little Stars or Yeo Valley childrens ones. They are all usually on some deal or another. I can get 18 Little Stars for £2 and there's twice as much in each as there is in a Petit Filous. The Yeo Valley ones are adult size and he sometimes wants a second one. He'd eat a whole pack if they were the size of a Petit Filous!
    That said, I give him all sorts of other stuff that some people wouldn't. Each to their own.......

17. ^ Yep, this for us too. Similarly, we always get him organic milk as well to avoid the hormones.
    LO won a Boden t-shirt with his Yeo Valley ones yesterday [​IMG]