1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Petition to reduce teachers workload

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Jul 17, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The two teacher strikes around 2013

Changed nothing - the second one - only half the staff struck.

2. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

It should be up to headteachers to be accountable for teacher workload. At my old school, we had to duplicate our data for 4 different formats. That was completely unnecessary and a waste of time. We also had to allocate parents' evenings slots manually as there was no online system. I won't even tell you how ridiculous the marking policy was but on average a set of books took 2 hours to mark.
    Surely headteachers have the authority to change things like this. I don't mind staying late at school to prepare things that help the children but I feel that much of my time was spent on ticking a box or getting through a book scrutiny or satisfying SLT's need for a crazy initiative.
    We are there for the children and we just need to do what is best for them.

peakster likes this.
  3. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Occasional commenter

Of course a strike is only as strong as the effort people put in. How do you expect a strike to work if half the members can't be bothered to fight.

Striking works if you have the strength and determination to see it through.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/us/west-virginia-teachers-strike-deal.html

Never known signing a petition to help workers improve their working conditions.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The Unions aren't interested in fighting for anything...

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I really don't see a solution to this one.

To be fair to our new SLT - I really like them and there is no doubt that the school is improving after a long period of stagnation and decay.

So if the price we have to pay is a bit more marking then it's worth it.

6. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Occasional commenter

Neither are teachers. Judging by the number of times this thread has been 'bumped' they can't even be bothered to sign a petition.

Lets face it, teachers are whipped. They have been for a long time.

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I like how the government talks about STPCD conditions yet 2616 (about 77%) of Secondaries and 5580 (about 34%) Primaries are academies, so can ignore anything that document says if they wish. I wonder when they will realise that they have little control over what happens in schools now?

celago22 likes this.