1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Petition to reduce teachers workload

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Jul 17, 2019.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

This petition may have been posted already but no harm in posting it again.
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/246255

Petition Address teachers unmanageable workload by increasing protected PPA to 30%

We are facing a retention crisis as the out of school workload is so high it is unsustainable. Help address this and keep experienced teachers in classrooms by increasing PPA so teachers can plan and mark during the working day instead of at home in the evening or at a weekend.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Won't happen.
    To reduce workload we need more teachers.
    As it is recruitment and retention are in crisis.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I believe that the possessive apostrophe should be part of teachers' workload.

4. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I tried hard not to like your post @jubilee , but I couldn’t help myself.

HelenREMfan and langteacher like this.
  5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The retention crisis can be solved because academies do not need to employ a qualified teacher to teach lessons. Teachers have not protected their profession status and the need for mandatory qualification and is one reason why employers can ramp up the workload without challenge. Basically their view is"If you don't like it you can leave and we will replace you with a cheaper alternative".

There was a similar petition a few years ago doing the rounds demanding the protection of Qualified Teacher Status. It was poorly supported and sunk like the Lusitania. I hope this petition fares better but I wouldn't put any money on it. In some ways teachers are their worst enemy and only have themselves to blame.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    agathamorse and TCSC47 like this.
  6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I admit only partial culpability. I copied and pasted it but did not notice it.

7. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Is this like the student who claims it’s not their fault that they got the answer wrong as the person they had copied from had made an error?

racroesus, TCSC47 and les25paul like this.
  8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Not completely but probably close. I didn't want people to think I couldn't use apostrophes correctly. Unlike the Orange Clown and Bozo Buffoon Boris I have shame!

knitone and les25paul like this.
  9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

You are probably right @BelleDuJour but that is not the only purpose that I see the petition for. It will also be an indication of all the problems in education, - demoralisation of the work force, lack of teachers, lack of funding and all the rest. Once a petition like this is set up we have to show our exasperation with the state of teaching in general by mobilising as many as possible to sign it. It will be part of the case for doing something about the present dreadful state of education along side what will probably be the main motivator -- nobody wants to teach.

jubilee likes this.
  10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Bump because we have two ways of telling those in power what a mess teaching is in. By walking away from it, as many are doing, or by signing any petition that comes along to voice concerns we have. It does not matter exactly what the petition says except that it voices our concern over the poor state of education. If we don't sign it, then the greasy pole politicians will think we are a walk over.

11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It won't change anything I'm sure.

If anything I expect my workload will actually increase next year.

13. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

But we still need to keep registering our unhappiness. We keep going on about it here but I doubt the politicians read this forum. The petition will at least gain some mileage in the outside world. If teachers can not be bothered to sign it then they will think we are quite happy. It is not about the particular aims of the petition, but to show our dissatisfaction at every possible chance.

Or is all the moaning here, just that -- moaning.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm afraid it is - certainly at the moment Education is not a government priority.

I am going to have to be very disciplined next year and keep on top of things. We're all expecting OFSTED in the first term and we have a new way of assessing our kids work which we were told is going to be scrutinized on a weekly basis (I have no doubt it will be).

I'm naturally a hard worker anyway and I like my school but I'm under no illusions about how tough next year is going to be if our exam results don't improve on last years.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not sure I need more PPA... just need my SLT to back off, stop worrying about OFSTED and trying to satisfy them....

primarycat and nomad like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I don't like the new way we have to assess. As an experienced old teaching lag I know that will not be of any real benefit and is being done to tick a box for OFSTED. It is supposed to be quick and easy but it is anything but and to be honest I've tried to avoid doing it as much as possible up to now. Other members of my department have become so obsessed with it that it is all they do in lessons.

The kids hate it (they're not stupid) I have to find a way of implementing it so I don't spend all my time on it.

17. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Occasional commenter

Back in the day people used to go on strike to improve their working conditions, now they sign petitions.

I'm sure the government are shaking in their boots.

lunarita likes this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

What good did the strikes ever do ?

I went on a couple of them.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What strikes?

Union's haven't taken action in 4 years (If memory serves)

Cue dismissive responses of 'only as strong as their members'

20. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Occasional commenter

What strikes did you go on and what were the outcomes?