1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Petition to get our bursaries back!!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by whitleyjen, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Hello all!
    I don't know if anyone has seen this, but following the annoucement that bursaries are going to be re-instated for PGCE students next year (and for ridiculous amounts) there has been an online petition created that calls for the bursaries for the 2011-12 cohort (the only one missing out!) to be reinstated and back-dated so we all get what we should.
    I don't know about anyone else but I could certainly use some extra money, having to work to be able to afford petrol to get to placement as well as doing planning and uni work is killing me!! I found this petition through an ATL newsletter, so at least one union is behind it! It seems unlikely we'll get the 100,000 signatures it needs to go to Parliament, but if every current PGCE student signed it and got parents and friends to as well, I reckon we'd be close.
    This is the link: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/162
    And it's gone up by quite a bit since I signed it on Friday, so keep your fingers crossed!!

2. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

Luckily I am a Science Trainee and so still got a bursary this year but i know without it i would have really struggled so i have signed the petition to show support for all the other subjects.
    I can understand the gov not wanting to spend money training people who dont go in to teaching so mayb they need to change the bursary system slightly instead of scrapping it. Would it make more sense if when you got the bursary you sign somethign that says that if you have not completed nqt year in the next 5 years you have to pay back the bursary.

3. I did my PGCE last year and would not have survived without the bursary. The amount of money spent on photocopying things and buying resources for lessons was crazy as well as travel to placements which were quite far away. I have signed the petition.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

^ You shouldn't have to pay for photocopying and resources out of your own pocket, unless you want to. Schools are paidto cover expenses like photocopying from students, and if you need to buy resources rather than using what is available to school, you should be able to claim the money back from the school.

5. barneystinson

barneystinson New commenter

Agreed, all resources should be paid by the school, spending from your own pocket is ridiculous.