1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

petition to ban wild animals in circuses - please sign

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minilady, Jun 22, 2011.

1. please read info below from my local MP - if you find the idea of elephants etc being forced to perform for so called entertainment please sign the online petition. thank you

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding wild animals in circuses. After a year of delay, the Tory-led government announced on the 13th May that they will not ban the use of wild animals in circuses because of a legal challenge in Austria. Yet, within days of that announcement ministers were forced to come to the House of Commons as it emerged that there is no such legal challenge.
    There is overwhelming public support for a ban on wild animals in circuses. The Labour Government held a consultation on banning on wild animals in circuses, which closed in March 2010. 94% of respondents backed a ban and Labour pledged to introduce one during the election.
    The Government have rejected a ban in favour of a licensing regime. This new announcement was justified on the false grounds of an outstanding legal case in Europe being pursued against the Austrian Government. There is no such court case, however, and the European Commission has ruled that a ban is a matter to be decided by individual governments.
    The Government are now consulting on the details for their licensing scheme, adding more delay for Defra ministers to do nothing, while the majority of the British people support an outright ban.
    Ministers have been strongly criticised by experts, including Richard Ings who served on the Department’s Zoos Forum for 8 years. He has described the decision as “completely barking mad” and said “there is not an animal welfare scientist in this country saying circuses could ever provide an environment for elephants”.
    The RSPCA have also attacked the government’s failure to introduce a ban, saying they are “furious that the government has decided to ignore public opinion and not ban the use of wild animals in circuses in England after all."

My Labour colleagues and I want to see a ban on wild animals in circuses, and will continue to call on the government to think again on this issue. There is a debate in the House of Commons on Thursday and I will make every effort to attend to vote for a ban on wild animals in circuses.
    Thank you once again for your interest in this subject.
    Regards

Gerry Sutcliffe MP

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

signed

3. thank you hope you're the first of many

4. In 2002, there were only 4 circuses in the UK with any exotic animals at all and that included budgies. How many are the in 2010? Sounds like a heavy-handed approach to a non-existent problem.

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I thought they'd been frowned on here as well and died out. The impression I get is that this is a campaign hoping to influence other nations' behaviour.

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

True, there aren't many wild animals still forced to perform in circuses. Fortunately, the majority of the public realise what an unnatural life this is, and how cruelly many animals are treated. As the demand to see these acts as declined, so has the number of animals used also declined.
    However, those animals still owned by circuses deserve protection. A legal ban is the only way of preventing animall acts from being used. For the sake of the animals currently owned by circuses, and for the sake of preventing animals being used in circuses in the future, a ban is necessary.
    The Captive Animals's Protection Society website expresses this much more coherently than I have.
    http://www.captiveanimals.org/our-work/circuses
    There have been countless incidents of cruelty uncovered by secret filming.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8408914/Abuse-of-Britains-last-circus-elephant-caught-on-camera.html
    http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in-entertainment/circuses.aspx

7. 39 animals in the UK, and they require their own parliamentary legislation? Time would be better spent campaigning about something else animal related.
    In the future? The concept of animals in circuses is finished already.There is no overwhelming public appetite to see lion-tamers.

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Signed.
    I believe there are three circuses in the UK that include 'wild' animals.
    If it was just one circus, showing one wild animal, then that would be enough for me to sign this petition.

9. I can't get excited about the crocodile. And Zebras are bit like horses aren't they?

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Well said, Bethannie!

11. thanks to all who've signed
    zebras may look like stripy horses but shouldn't they be running free in their native country and not tethered in a british field
    a visiting circus last year had elephants in leg irons - out of sight of the public of course

please sign

12. As should horses?
    I thought that last elephant had now been rescued?

13. You're headbutting a brick wall, median joseph. To some people, the plight of one animal is far more important than that of thousands of human beings. Let her salve her conscience with this pointless petition, it helps her feel good and it does no-one else any real harm.

cyolba, magnanimous in victory and defeat :)

14. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

yes let the sinners repent / I may be going mad.

15. It's the clowns I feel sorry for. Kept in tiny cages with little natural light. Fed scraps once a week and made to wear huge shoes to stop them running off.

16. lurk_much

You big softy, they are like mime, but worse, they should suffer.

17. Yes, but we know that clowns are evil, so they deserve it.
    [​IMG]

cyolba, not mad at all :)

18. lurk_much

Is that Happy Hamza al Masri?

19. It's Mr. Jelly, of course, who sadly dropped and shattered his own cryogenically frozen hand.

cyolba, Psychoville fan :)

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I loved the circus as a kid watching animals that I would never see in the wild! Can't see the fuss really.