1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Petition started concerning Edexcel Maths Pure papers 2019

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by afterdark, Jun 13, 2019.

1. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

There is a petition concerning the Edexcel Mathematics Pure papers that was started after the second Edexcel Pure Paper of Wednesday the 12th.

https://www.change.org/p/edexcel-alevel-maths-edexcel-re-assessment-of-situation

@ 6.6 k signatures at the time of this posting.

Student comments suggest that students found the questions inaccessible and quite dissimilar to the sample, specimen past papers.

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I haven't seen the papers but my students seem to pretty much agree with this. What do people who have seen the papers think?

4. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

I need to see the paper and make an appropriate analysis, before signing a petition.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I haven't seen the paper, but if it were that hard, grade boundaries would be lower so the chances of getting any particular grade would be similar to an easier paper. So, in effect, they are getting consideration. But it is annoying when papers are not similar to specimen papers.

strawbs likes this.
  6. gdunne42

gdunne42 New commenter

A petition was to be expected I suppose.
    For the first time ever I have some sympathy with the feelings that underpin it. The proof will be in the pudding when grade boundaries emerge.
    Questions are certainly being asked by my network of colleagues regarding advice to students about choosing to study maths A level next year and some serious grumbling about choosing Edexcel as their examiner.

7. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

The petition shows an image of Paper 1 not 2 .

Paper 1, which I have seen, was rather odd.
    It bears little resemblance to the materials provided by the exam board.
    It is not like the online textbook. It is not like like the sample paper either.
    It is rather unlike the unit/chapter tests.

The cumulative effect seems to have been that many students who worked hard were rather thrown by what they were presented with.

To my eye the paper 1 seems to be rather focussed on answering questions from a graphical point of view. For students who find this more difficult then obviously the paper would have been quite challenging.

I can understand why many students who used the exam boards own materials are rather peeved about it.

8. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

It is quite common for that to happen though because usually the specimens and the actuals are produced at about the same time. As a result they are often written by different people with different interpretations and preferences and so each end up writing a paper that the other would never write.

9. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Thank you, that agrees with what my students said.

10. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

The real mental health problems are being caused to the lower ability, SEN State school students who are forced to sit GCSE Foundation Maths, all three papers of it, and fail and then re-sit it again and again for the rest of their lives.:eek:

Well not the rest of their lives but he hyperbole makes for more dramatic reading.:rolleyes:

strawbs likes this.
  11. baller4life

baller4life New commenter

The style of paper 1 & 2 was certainly very different to what the students have been exposed to in their texts books, practice papers and specimen papers. I feel really sorry for the students, several of ours came out of the exams crying....

I think the problem was that there weren't as many questions that tested if the students could complete a straight forward mathematical process like straight forward differentiation or integration. A large proportion of the questions involved heavy elements of problem solving which required the students to make links between the prpblems and the Maths they've learnt, and if they could make the links then they couldn't access the question.

I was always under the impression that exams are supposed to start with easy questions and get progressively harder, but when I saw they ended paper 2 with straight forward integration by substitution and solving parametric equations i started to question if that true....

12. adamcreen

Never been easy to hard for A Level (tho generally true for GCSE, not as much as used to be).
    What was always the case for C1-C4 was shorter questions to longer questions, though demand was high throughout the papers.
    Now there seems to be much more of a range of marks spread throughout the papers. We should see the same in the Applied today.

13. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

For GCE you should not rely nor expect the easier questions to be at the beginning of the paper. I would urge you to instruct your students to read all the questions first and attempt the ones that they find easiest first. Good exam technique can help a great deal.

14. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Not sure what you mean here.

15. Doug1943

Doug1943 New commenter

We need a unified, single exam board, part of the Department of Education, transparent, staffed by quality people, overlooked by representatives of the relevant teaching community, from primary to PhD level. It should also produce digital teaching materials made available for free. It should have a public, transparent set of criteria for assessment, with proposed exams being vetted by a committee of competent people.

The current system of competing exam boards, some run by textbook publishers, reminds me of the medieval system of pre-metric weights and measures, with every county having its own standards.

It took the French Revolution in order to get a rational system of mass and space measurement ... perhaps King Boris or Comrade Corbyn will do something radical and useful and do away with the present insane exam board system.

16. adamcreen

I mean it's never been easy to hard for A Level (though it's generally true for GCSE, but not as much as it used to be).

17. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Repeating yourself has not made your meaning any clearer.

18. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Is there another petition about paper 3 being leaked?

19. BG54

BG54 New commenter

The questions in the old-spec GCSE papers generally increased in difficulty from the first question to the last, though less so in 9-1 papers. A-level papers have never exhibited this tendency.

Yes.

https://www.change.org/p/edexcel-wh...l-maths-leak?source_location=petitions_browse

20. adamcreen