1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Petition against new assessment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by intime, Feb 27, 2016.

1. intime

intime New commenter

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
  3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The Standards and Testing Agency acknowledge the tests are "more widely known as SATs"

4. markuss

So, it acknowledges that a simple myth is widespread. So what?

5. markuss

It acknowledges that a simple myth is widespread. So what? The myth is still nonsense.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if they can get as far as forcing a debate in parliament, at least it will make the education department come out of their offices and face some questions.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The STA/DfE/Gov recognise that people call the tests SATs rightly or wrongly and that most people know what is meant by that in the context of English national curriculum so your worries they will fail to understand the petition are misplaced.

8. intime

intime New commenter

Please read and sign if you agree.

9. intime

intime New commenter

Another 5,000 people have signed since the weekend!

10. intime

intime New commenter

Thanks to all who have signed.

11. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Loving the markuss meltdown. Can't get enough of him when he doesn't understand how words and phrases work.

12. markuss

I actually understand the nature of language very well - and I've nothing against nicknames in themselves.

However, I'd have thought that if you are formally petitioning against something, it would make sense to refer to it by a formal and sensible name rather than using a bit of slang.

13. Milgod

:rolleyes:

It's not slang. It's a commonly used and accepted term for the tests. Keep trying though. You shall change our minds soon enough.

14. RUFree

RUFree New commenter

15. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

Those of us who have been TES contributors for MANY years just go 'Oh-uh... Markuss will pop up in a minute'.

16. Milgod

The only reason I come on here is to see markuss talk about SATs.

The latest document from the government about clarification on assessment calls them SATs. It's like they do it just to annoy him.