1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Petite idée du jour...

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mpillette, Feb 3, 2011.

1. mpillette

mpillette New commenter

I am in the middle of putting together new inset ideas for speaking practice and can't resist sharing my latest find - this delightful one-minute videoclip: http://www.m6bonus.fr/videos-jeunesse-8/videos-avez_vous_deja_vu_-7748/saison_2/video-un_magasin_de_visages_-58782.html

Great stimulus for KS3 pupils to develop sketches along the same lines:- more engaging and creative than 'Describe yourself/your sister/your ...;- great opp. for reusing language in new contexts, e.g. physical descriptions + shopping conventions + opinions & reactions + plenty more (e.g. comparative if known).Going for scripting + performance can help re. writing skills and re. reading aloud or memorising or speaking from prompts.Going instead for [semi-]improvisation - e.g. practising with several different partners - can help re. spontaneous speaking. Ofsted 2010: 'Overall, speaking was the weakest skill in four out of five of the schools visited.'And... it need not be used just for French.Oh, and a word of warning: once you have watched this clip you'll find it hard to resist watching the others in the series!Enjoy (I hope),Martine

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Thanks Martine, they're terribly addictive! Will think about how to use them.
    As for speaking, I think it's because kids are uninspired by the topics of conversation. I don't really know how to get round the problem, but I do know that my Y9 never spoke as much as when I got them into a debate about whether cats or dogs were better (when doing comparisons) - somehow surveys about describing your house isn't as appealing!
    I pinched the idea from there - best 15 minutes of CPD I ever spent! http://www.teachers.tv/videos/mfl-implementing-the-group-talk-initiative-and-other-strategies

3. mpillette

mpillette New commenter

Geekie, I hadn't seen 'Une chip en string' but I now have! For anyone who is interested and in a hurry: http://www.m6bonus.fr/videos-jeunesse-8/videos-avez_vous_deja_vu_-7748/saison_2/video-une_chip_en_string_-53286.html Noemie, I couldn't agree with you more. Finding something pupils really want to talk about (not 'Describe your school uniform'...) is definitely one of the key ingredients re. developing speaking. Among many others things, I find that another ingredient which really helps is not agonising all the time over accuracy - as long, of course, as what pupils are saying is readily understandable. Speaking practice where the focus is explicitly on talking/communicating a lot can really help - as long as the teacher means it and manages to resist any temptation to over-correct. It is also great for those pupils who will never be top grammarians but have real communication potential. What's best: being tongue-tied for fear of making a mistake or having the confidence to have a go? And - by the way - the above doesn't mean that I am anti-grammar/anti-accuracy!!! I just think that there is a time and a place for practising different features of progression in speaking and that trying to emphasise them all all of the time can be counter-productive. Bon week-end! Martine