1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Petetion to standardise application forms

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tmr204, Jun 4, 2020.

1. tmr204

tmr204 New commenter

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

It’s a bit of a ball ache, I’ll level. But once you’ve done it once, you can frankly copy and paste the bulk???

I’m surprised this is the thing you’d want to petition over

Brixtonboy and Pomza like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Your link doesn't go the petition itself, only to the signature page, so I don't know what its wording actually says. Maybe it's explained in your petition wording, but you haven't explained here why all schools should have the same form (other than to save you some effort). They aren't identical schools and they arem't all advertising the same teaching post.

Why have you multiposted this on 8 TES forums? Moderators are likely to remove the multiposts. TES, like most discussion sites, discourages multiposting.

As DfE has no power to do what you are asking it seems a rather irrelevant petition.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  4. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

We’re going through a global pandemic and you’ve orchestrated a petition for a standardised application form! I dont think this is a priority!
    Why not channel your energies in supporting other causes, for example, NHS staff receiving fair pay.

5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Whilst it is irritating, it’s not particularly difficult to copy and paste relevant sections sections in various application forms. If you’re struggling over this, I wonder how you manage to prioritise your time when in post.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Why would I want to employ someone who can’t even be bothered to complete an application form tailored to my school and its needs? I want at least the pretence that we are the best thing since sliced bread and that you can’t wait to work for us!

7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Quite. It’s not exactly difficult, is it?

If this person is having to fill out so many application forms that it has become a problem for them, I suspect they have bigger issues than just document templates...

8. install

install Star commenter

I’d rather see a petition that allowed teachers to apply for jobs, go for interviews, get offered the jobs and then have head teacher references requested after.

For too long some dodgy heads have played games with references and job applications in my view.

9. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

It would also be good if it was a legal obligation on schools to provide references or at least the information required for safeguarding accurately and in a timely manner.

10. install

install Star commenter

Yes. I have known some dodgy hts delay references being sent in an attempt to send a bad vibe about the employee and so they do not lose them - all very underhand imho.

ruthanderson11 and agathamorse like this.
  11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Application form that are Word documents can be a pain, as you have to keep rearranging the pagination, as you add more inforamtion.

12. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Would this be for all UK schools, Independents, Academies,Free Schools, LA as well as other variations in Scotland NI, as well as E&W

Laphroig likes this.
  13. Counterpart

Counterpart New commenter

In fairness to the original post, it's not that bad an idea. They have been doing that in Scotland for years. Applications are done online, details are saved so you just have to update as necessary, and the schools just log into the system as well. Having worked up there too, that works better than what we have to do here.

14. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I think the worst examples I’ve come across are when the form is sent out by pdf, so you need to email back to ask for one in a format that can be edited.

15. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

In Kent, we have a centralised website called Kent Teach where most jobs are posted. The application form is pretty much standard for each job, which is helpful. But I do think schools are entitled to ask for what they want so they can tailor their recruitment process. You can't want a job very much if you can't be bothered to do a personalised application for it...

16. S1G7FD

S1G7FD New commenter

Yet again the TES mob descends upon someone who has a useful suggestion. Let them be for goodness' sake! I think it's a great idea and, like it or lump it, the global pandemic doesn't stop us thinking about other aspects of our life!

17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You are entitled to support the OP @S1G7FD of course, but equally just because you think it's a great idea doesn't mean that everyone who disagrees with you is part of "mob" who will just have to "like it or lump it". No-one has called those who support the proposal a "TES mob" have they?

So why do you think it's a great idea?

Pomza likes this.
  18. MrLW1

MrLW1 New commenter

I'm more annoyed about individual forms that are difficult to format, with fixed-sized text boxes or ones jumping all over the place when you try to edit them. Also, when it's clear they are using very old forms they haven't bothered looking at for ages and therefore asking pointless questions. "Are you a member of the General Teaching Council for England?" No, as it would be impossible. I'm also annoyed when schools don't seem to be willing to go out of their way to help those that are interesting in applying; I remember contacting a school (via the email address given in their advert) and not receiving any response. I also rang another to make an enquiry about a post - as for some reason they put little information in their advert/info document - and was told someone would call me back, but they didn't. I teach a shortage subject too.

So whilst I don't necessarily think all schools need to have the same application form, heads can't publicly complain about difficulties in recruiting if they aren't really willing to put the effort into making it easier for good applicants to apply.

19. Counterpart

Counterpart New commenter

If I could add in response to the question: 'So why do you think it's a great idea?' it saves a lot of time. We all, well most, including me, complain about the amount of time the job takes from our lives if we are to do it to our best ability. To then spend hours, of unnecessary time, to complete the basic information, time and time again, I believe is the key issue. Standardisation, which can be an ugly word in education, works in this regard. Previous work history should only need updating as and when necessary, same as any courses/qualification, etc. The main part - which should always be tailored to the role/school is the personal statement. What time could be saved! It is a good idea however, those who disagree are entitled to as well. I am one who does clearly see the merits of it. This post is not meant to result in engaging in a 'spat' - as I agree with 'S1G7FD' that there can be too many squabbles on this site at times. Ideas should be considered and I think that is all that was implied.

20. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

Really? My name, my address, DOB, employment history, qualifications? They all suggest the SCHOOL is the best thing since sliced bread?

The LETTER, yes, okay, I’m happy to tailor to individual schools, but the above information is pretty time consuming to fill in and yes, it would help enormously if it didn’t have to be repeatedly done over and over again in the different formats required.