1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Peter Tatchell and the TES

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by percy topliss, Feb 16, 2016.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Today I read a very interesting , if disturbing, article about that erstwhile enfant terrible of Stonewall and Outrage, Peter Tatchell who is being taken to task by the LBGTNS? coordinator at a university somewhere in the UK because of his support for free speech. Apparently free speech is actually carte blanche for people to disagree with other people and this is not allowed when it comes to the LBGTNS? community in the UK at the minute. All crime is hate crime according to them.

I then opened this esteemed organ only to find that Captain Mainwarings discussion has been locked, not for the TES the easy way out of removing the offending comment but instead the heavy handed censorship of making sure that no one can reply. Cato would be pleased.

I would imagine that people will flock to the *** just so that they can read unadulterated opinions rather than those of the hand me down lickspittle type.

Half term on Friday, back to the beach!
    Perce

max5775 likes this.
  2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

3. Mainwaring

‘Free speech is actually carte blanche for people to disagree with other people and this is not allowed.’

An ingenious parallel, Perce, mon brave. It might save a great deal of verbiage if the above could appear in heavy type at the beginning of each thread.

The ‘offending comment’ arose from my (apparently unreasonable) suggestion that the same rules of courtesy ought to apply to both sexes. Having been married to a strong, intelligent woman for more than two thirds of both our lives I’m rather in favour of gender equality. An old friend, head of a large coeducational school in Chile, invented for herself the email ID master@scollege. Conversely, as one of the younger GSA principals of the 1980s, I liked to tell people that I was a headmistress. Either way, I suspect that we were both striving manfully for equal opportunities when the majority of you youngsters were still on Janet and John.

220px-Marco_Porcio_Caton_Major.jpg

Marcus Porcius Cato 234-149 BC. ‘Cato the Censor’. Highly regarded for treating, men, women, children, slaves, plebs, toffs, foreigners equally (i.e. unpleasantly). Inclined to end his speeches (be they about plumbing, foreign policy or the price of potatoes) with the words ‘Carthage must be destroyed’. Excellent moderator material but maybe not the kind of guy you’d want to invite for a pint down the old Goat and Compasses.

Apologies for the double posting. The first attempt didn't come out right.

4. DameEvaTurner

DameEvaTurner New commenter

The complainant was Fran Cowling, a NUS official, who refused to share a platform with Peter Tatchell in a debate at Canterbury Christ Church University, on the grounds that he is racist, transphobic and various other objectionable things. As PT is a lifelong campaigner for left wing causes and gay rights in particular he was understandably annoyed by the slur and has several times asked FC to justify her allegations. She hasn't replied but the incident has sparked a discussion about student intolerance which has even seen the Telegraph and the Guardian in rare agreement.

5. Mainwaring

[QUOTE="percy topliss I would imagine that people will flock to the *** Perce [/QUOTE]

Judging by the average number of active posters on 'Teaching Overseas' since PT started this thread last Tuesday it would be less of a flock than a small dispirited gaggle. In contrast, 'Personal' is a lively, argumentative place with lots of banter. Why such a marked difference?

6. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Overseas SLT tend to become quite upset if one of their flock is an active TES poster, and apply pressure. Their home country brethren couldn't care less.

7. Mainwaring

View attachment 3423

8. Mainwaring