1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pet Theory- Would Love Your Wisdom

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Oldgit61, Mar 20, 2012.

1. I came across a couple of these posts on another forum and they struck me as being pretty shaking. Now I have long beleived, on anecdotal evidence, that the Ofst*d driven bs masquerading as educational management began in the UK but rapidly travelled onto the international circuit with deleterious results. The UK teaching profession seems to have been beaten by it. Will the international teaching profession succumb - or has it done so already?
    Here are the posts. Comments?
    My take is that the worst
    managers and teachers gravitate - not OUT of the profession - but to the TOP of
    the profession. There is a cycle of ever increasing incompetence at the
    SMT/Leadership level which is perpetuating itself.
    <font face="Times New Roman">

</font>
    Incompetence leads to bullying and it is no accident
    that bullying is becoming an epidemic in the profession, as the quality of the
    leadership steadily falls.

Particularly popular targets for bullying are people
    with wide experience and long careers of obvious achievement and competence,
    because they are the reminders of how things could and should be done.

The worst things you can bring to teaching these days
    are common sense and experience from Industry. God forbid you have better than
    average academic qualifications as this will mark you out for failure your
    entire career.

We have a newly appointed head of department who is
    now a "Director of Learning in ..." Nonsense! She is a young, thick
    automaton who will do anything for her promotion. Thick as two short planks of
    woods and absolutely no moral fibre: a witless waste of space who is,
    ironically, sure to be an assistant head before long. This creature rarely
    offers an opinion outside of the management thinking pattern, totally devoid of
    intelligent sensibility and academic prowess. Horrible little worm! "

2. I came across a couple of these posts on another forum and they struck me as being pretty shaking. Now I have long beleived, on anecdotal evidence, that the Ofst*d driven bs masquerading as educational management began in the UK but rapidly travelled onto the international circuit with deleterious results. The UK teaching profession seems to have been beaten by it. Will the international teaching profession succumb - or has it done so already?
    Here are the posts. Comments?
    My take is that the worst
    managers and teachers gravitate - not OUT of the profession - but to the TOP of
    the profession. There is a cycle of ever increasing incompetence at the
    SMT/Leadership level which is perpetuating itself.
    <font face="Times New Roman">

</font>
    Incompetence leads to bullying and it is no accident
    that bullying is becoming an epidemic in the profession, as the quality of the
    leadership steadily falls.

Particularly popular targets for bullying are people
    with wide experience and long careers of obvious achievement and competence,
    because they are the reminders of how things could and should be done.

The worst things you can bring to teaching these days
    are common sense and experience from Industry. God forbid you have better than
    average academic qualifications as this will mark you out for failure your
    entire career.

We have a newly appointed head of department who is
    now a "Director of Learning in ..." Nonsense! She is a young, thick
    automaton who will do anything for her promotion. Thick as two short planks of
    woods and absolutely no moral fibre: a witless waste of space who is,
    ironically, sure to be an assistant head before long. This creature rarely
    offers an opinion outside of the management thinking pattern, totally devoid of
    intelligent sensibility and academic prowess. Horrible little worm! "

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I con understand that tha'd love to have my wisdom, Owdgit, but if it's not theer yet it's niver gooin th'appen.

4. I think I used to work with her on the international circuit! She had been qualified for 2 years and could quote pretty much verbatim everything on the QCA website.

5. Absolutely spot on!

Here's a couple of interesting principles supporting your theory Oldgit - funny and well worth the effort of a few clicks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dilbert_principle
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

6. Reading the OP a cold shiver of recognition passed down my spine.
    Is it a case of,'Those who can do, those who can't teach and those who can't teach move the goalposts so what they do pretends to be education'???

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

The key term lurking in that sour stream of abuse is the (usually neutral) word, 'young'.
    That, one suspects, is the sin of hers which oldgit really can't forgive. That and her resplendent femininity no doubt. I want to be a girlie too, oldgit, but I've learned to live with it.
    I wonder how she sees the Git.
    Is it, "OMG, that silly cantankerous old priick, if I hear him banging on about his academic degree or his experience in forkin' industry ONE more time, I swear I will brave the stench. climb on his back and tear the remaining hair out of his head."
    Or is she, like, "I know everyone else here loathes him, but I've got a soft spot for the Git, I feel for his lack of self-esteem. Under all that angry brutish bluster, the man has a heart of gold and, well, don't laugh but CUDDLY is what I'd call him actually."
    I've seen ambitious youngsters fall victim to the Peter Principle, or to what we learned on my Highly Academic Degree Course to call 'hubris'. Pity and Fear are the appropriate responses. Not Contempt, which should be reserved for those people old enough to know better who enjoy watching victims struggle and heap abuse on them as they go under.
    Young people, adults as well as students, watch the behaviour of us grizzled veterans closely, and we can be models for them, both positive and negative. (I suspect that's 'management-speak', but, hey).
    So, OldGit, wipe the sweat off your brow and the froth off your lips and approach this young woman in a spirit of avuncular compassion and understanding. Help her broaden her horizons, widen her understanding of human nature, grasp the complexities of true pedagogy, scale the heights of educational philosophy where you have dwelt as an Olympian these many long years.
    She can't do this by herself. You are an Educator of the noble old breed. Become her friend, supporter, mentor... even - why not? - lover...
    I yield to none in reactionary hostility to many a modern shibboleth, but railing like Lear on the heath at particular individuals will get us nowhere.
    Peace an' Love, che.

8. Actually these are quotes from posts over on opinion under 'Why teachers are leaving the profession'.
    I don't know the girl in question - but you are correct in guessing that I have met people like her.
    As for Lear - perhaps Cassandra and Agamemnon might be a better example?

9. And i might be female.
    On the internet no-one knows you're a dog [sic].

10. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

I think I may be a dog.
    And may be 'losing it', too - the kind of lame smelly deaf-n-blind old mutt that needs putting down. Second post I've misunderstood in as many days. Didn't realise that even the last paragraph of the OP had been dredged up from other forums for our perusal and comment.
    Will not now embark on crashingly dull reflections on School Leadership in the Twenty-First Century and the types of people it attracts. For two reasons, 1. There is actually quite a bit of work to do here today, dammit, and, 2. This may turn out, in fact, to be a thread about working conditions in Saudi, or visas for Australia.

11. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Good luck with the Australian visas Dude. We are rabies free and trying tokeep it that way.

12. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Yes, from what I see here. Dull, lifeless andremind me of Datafrom Star Trek except he is a little more animated. No ability whatsoever to get staff on board or enthused.
    Bullying is endemic which is why things are in such a **** state; everyone is too scared to open their mouths.
    Young teachers are being indoctrinated as well, even the talented ones. One of my ex MTeach students is now appointed to my base school. He is a clever guy and a creative teacher. I was having a discussion with him and another colleague about the woeful way in which writing is taught. He was telling me that he had just been to an inservice course and they said we are too narrowly focused on text types and genre writing (duh) and that children need to be encouraged to write with a purpose. I jokingly said to him,
    "Well, that's a new idea!" and he said, "Yes I know."
    I just sat there mouth agape. Oh dear.

13. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

That was very hard to read, sorry, space bar not working well.

14. 'I have recently taken forced early retirement due to our new Head trying to implement these ridiculous standards. After 26 years of teaching in the same lovely family type school, I was told my teaching was "inadequate",(after a 15 minute observation) and then the Head lowered my KS1 SAT's results after I had been externally moderated, and subsequently told me the results in my class were poor!I was on a no win downward spiral, suffering from stress and depression and was advised by my union representative to take a deal and leave! During that time the supportive Chair of Governors was voted out, the caretaker left because he couldn't endure the changed atmosphere of the school and since my demise, the deputy Head and other SMT teacher have handed in their resignation! The remaining 4 younger members of staff look ill, stressed and are not enjoying the job AT ALL!
    This was not how I expected my career as a teacher to finish as teaching is the only thing I have ever wanted to do. Although my health is fully restored, I miss the children very much.Thank goodness I have grandchildren to dote on now but that isn't the real solution to the problem for others.'
    Will exporting Ofst&d bs produce results like this?
    Yeah I know people are a crashing bore for a lot of SMT as long as some number somewhere gets fiddled.

15. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

This makes me sick..... An obviously devoted, talented teacher run out of the classroom by some number cruncher who missed his true calling as an accountant.

16. Agree with nearly all the sentiments as passed on by the OP. As a career changer who came out of a successful management career to teach I find the second to last one common and galling. Regularly passed over, ignored and bullied by incompetents who have never been out of the cloistered world of education I am close to giving it away and going back into the outside world. A pity as I love teaching and apparently I am very good at my job (as evidenced by lots of lovely ticks by my name on school inspections by the type of bureaucrats who otherwise tend to despise or feel threatened by me).

17. One of the reasoms for asking the original question is that I had just had for the umpteenth time the following converstion during an interview.
    "So hello Miss Bloggs. Why do you want to leave your well paid and pensioned role in Old Blighty and chance your arm in Intskoolville?"
    "Well actually, although I enjoy teaching, I'm sick of all the Ofst%d bs."
    "Excellent answer Miss Bloggs. So, if we appointed you to be HoD Oldgit Studies, what could you contribute to our school?"
    And thus comes the answer.
    "I am a great believer in acronyms and would bring in a whole load of Ofst&d bs which would generate mountains of worthless paper and harass the sh7te out of your hardworking staff."

18. The toxic management that contemporary UK education seems to have a habit of throwing up, and now exporting, perhaps comes from a probably well-meaning attention to 'pedagogy'. While that attention doubtless has its place, to share one of my own pet theories, I wonder if the UK emphasis on 'how' we teach isn't, in part at least, an attempt to avoid the politically and socially difficult issue of 'who' we teach.
    Putting teachers under the closest examination, and holding them responsible for student achievement, is a lot easier than holding students, their parents and the prevalent norms/culture/values. Many of us must have left UK classrooms for international ones and seen the motivation, interest and work-ethic of students triumph where the guidelines, initiatives and sometimes resources of home could not.
    Making teachers the scapegoats might well help create a culture that requires people who have criticismas their default setting as 'managers'. I rather resent the appropriation of the word 'leadership' in this context believing that it is up to the led determine by their actions who is a leader.
    Just saying like [​IMG]

19. As a just turned 40 head of department, with a career that has on the whole gently meandered along, I think that the obsession with Yoof in education is part of the problem. Essentially if I wished to further clamber up the greasy pole (and I don't) I would, in many cases, be regarded as too old. So promotion is left to those careerists who have self-reviewed their career progression in order to show they have the ability to manage change or whatever.
    As a result, the social life of the school, which really needs to be organised by the young, suffers and the staff become more fractured and isolated. Or so some of us of a certain age think as we scrape last night's beer induced vomit from our ties.

20. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I note that Oldgit's highly original (he thinks) Manifesto for Education has crashed and burned over on Opinion. To be fair, it's not only because it's b0ll0x. As Pharaoh and many others have discovered, anybody not in the Opinion Clique doesn't stand much of a chance. Add to that the fact that I've contributed my pennyworth and you'll realise how desperate his case is. Do pop over there and rescue him before he slides off page one or even page two. Jesus, Save. Mary, Help.