1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pet insurance - Animal Friends Feelgood Insurance

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sesame1, Jan 6, 2011.

1. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

Does anyone know of this pet insurance company? I've just reveived the renewal quote for our 9 yr-old crossbreed and it has simply doubled! (from £12 / month to nearly £24 - with Tesco - we've been with them for 2 or 3 years and have never claimed anything).
    On GoCompare, this company (Animal Friends Feelgood Insurance) works out much cheaper (about £11 / month) for what seems to be the same policy. As I've never heard of it, I'm wondering how good/reliable they are.

2. Ive never heard of them either.
    Im also with Tesco and they've been great - paid out twice for teeth issues with my cat. Have you tried ringing them, querying why the increase, and threatening to leave?

3. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

Thanks for your input, I'm pleased to know they're good to deal with, maybe I should just bite the bullet and stay with them if they are hassle-free.
    I haven't contacted them yet (just arrived from work), I am putting feelers out first, but will defo try to haggle price of policy down, I did last year and managed to get it for £35 less.
    Unless I get some positive feedback about this Animal Friends Feelgood insurance company, I better stay with Tesco, not worth the £s save. I take it Sainbury's, M&S and the likes are similar price-wise to Tesco.

4. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

5. My 4 year old croosbreed dog has gone from £15.77 to £18.71 per month with Sainsburys - increase doesn't seem quite so steep as tesco - never had to claim so can't comment from that point of view.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Have you tried to phone them and tell them you can get cheaper somewhere else? They might match the price. Since the advent of Internet,I've very often found that insurances send silly renewal demands but that if you phone them to tell them that you've found cheaper online they will bring down the price. I have to go through this every year with the AA!

7. <font size="2">Hi</font><font size="2">just to say be careful, as we had M&S insurance for our dog for 5 years and never claimed but like you started to feel it was becoming expensive and as we'd never used it we "downgraded" to AFI and the following month she had a serious illness and needed hospitalisation and life-long treatment. AFI did pay out for her treatment but after a lot of hassle and they were quite difficult trying to get out of paying out without any justification. Also, which isn't their fault we hadn't taken the "life" option so they paid &pound;2000 towards this year&rsquo;s treatment of the illness but we now have to pay &pound;50.00 a month for tablets as well as quarterly &pound;100.00 for blood analysis, so be cautious about making false savings</font>

8. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

Thanks Leviosa and CM. No, I haven't tried yet (just arrived from work and found out renewal quotes), I'm just putting the feelers out at this stage, but I will try to get the price down, as I do every year, I was just wondering if anyone knew of this small insurance company http://animalfriends.org.uk/

9. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

10. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

Actually, I've been through about 40 reviews about Animal Friends and they do sound shockingly bad!

11. I've found some fairly steep rises from Sainsburys recently for the cat now she's getting slightly older (don't tell her that though). Still got to get a policy sorted for the dog as he's on a month's freebie insurance for rehomed rescue dogs.

12. Yep, fortunately have never had to use dog insurance, but he is daft enough to do something that would need major intervention if you know what I mean, so I have it as a security blanket!
    My ponies I only have done for public liability in case they jump on a car or some other random act. Once they get past 15 the costs is exorbitant, the excess is unbelievable and to be honest if they needed anything medicallyI couldn't afford I figure they would be best off pts as in horse terms at their ages (22) they are knocking on for majoe intervention by vet.

13. When you went on the comparison site, what was the first 'recognisable' brand down the list after this other company?

You do have to be a bit careful - some of the lesser known companys dont pay out for certain things. My cat chipped her tooth which caused her nerve to be damaged and had to have the tooth out - Vet said we'd be lucky if our insurance paid out as teeth often arent covered, but they did. They also paid out not long before that when we'd just got her and discovered she had bad tartar build up and had to have two previous teeth taken out - so im surprised they paid out for both teeth-related issues!

14. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

After the 3 minor companies (Animal Friends, The Green Insurance Company, Protect Your Bubble.com), the first household name was Sainsbury's (&pound;205 / year - &pound; 3,000 vet fees, &pound;200 excess). Then followed Asda (&pound;208), RSPCA (&pound;224), AA (&pound;225).
    I may go back to Sainsbury's then (was with them years ago) if I get nowhere with Tesco on Saturday, what are Sainsbury's like for claims, does anyone know?

15. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

Thanks Pims for your post yesterday about your experience with Animal Friends, I've just spotted it. We're defo not going for Animal Friends now (scary reviews on the internet!), I'll sort it out tomorrow with Tesco, will hopefully get &pound;50 off the current (inflated) price. Does anyone on here have their pet insured through Sainsbury's, RSPCA or First Direct? (if so, what are they like for claims?)

16. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

It is probably because your dog is 9 years old. Some companies won't insure at all after that age. i pay about £12 a month for my 5 year old doggie with Argos. They were good when i had a claim last year.

17. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

You must be right about the age PM, I knew there was a "cut-off" point at 8 or 9, I just did not expect the policy to double. I didn't quite realise about the age threshold, my previous dog died at 16 but the average age is more like 11 for a dog. Never mind, I'll phone them tomorrow and try to haggle the price down.

18. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

RE Post 14
    Sainsbury's pay out pretty quick. But I am no longer with them because they seemed to be hiking up fees for very little benefits.
    I moved to M&S because of the discount for multiple pets.

19. I changed to Healthy Pets a couple of years ago from Tesco and they've been great. Have got a dog and 2 cats insured, all for less than &pound;30 a month. They paid out for our previous elderly dog without any quibbles at all. They also have an option where they can pay the vet directly.