1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pesto and its many uses

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Mar 19, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I was making a variation on Chicken Caesar Salad for lunch today and used some shopbought pesto in the dressing and it got me thinking - I never use pesto in pasta which is probably for the majority of people its intended purpose.
    I use it in sandwiches/wraps with falafel, I smear it over chicken and then wrap with air dried ham, I use it for so many things but never in pasta!

2. Pesto mash. Yummmmmmm.

3. Heck, I use it all over the place.
    On fish (a spoonful over the fish, wrap up, bake).
    In salad dressings.
    On bread, with a nice topping.
    On pizza.
    On jacket potatoes.
    In mash.
    In a veggie bake.
    To stir into risotto.
    To add to pitta fillings.
    To jazz up a dip.
    To stir into soup.
    I have even added it to omelettes!

4. egyptgirl

Let's rename this thread 'The TES Pesto Appreciation Thread'

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I put it in my fave sarnie (as well documented!)
    I mix it with mayo for everyday sandwiches
    Smear it on fish or chicken and top with breadcrumbs
    Stir it into tomato pasta sauces
    Stir through hot new potatoes
    put a blob into minestrone type soups

It's my get out of jail free card. Always the "fresh" refrigerated type, though- hate the bitter taste of the jarred stuff. I'm very fussy about my bought pesto- if not made with olive oil, it's no good IMO. I bought a jar of Sainsbury's pesto last week, and was very disappointed. When I looked at the ingredients, I wasn't surprised.

6. egyptgirl

I forgot to tell you - I made it the other weekend and it was fab! Will absolutley make again. Thanks, Si!

7. Si N. Tiffick

[​IMG]

8. I tried it too, although I posted about it.
    I now call it a Si Sarnie.
    Much as I still refer to a certain soup as schmoo soup.
    [​IMG]

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yes, Si, your sarnie is set to become a minor cult classic, I think.
    Nothing to add to all of the above!
    I even like it just as a dip for fresh bread and have made a meal out of that and a lump of cheese many a time.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

What is in Si's sarnie please?
    I love cod loins (or monkfish) smeared in red pesto, wrapped in parma ham and baked in the oven.....yummy!
    Or salmon topped with green pesto and a breadcrumb and parmesan crust [​IMG]

11. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I like to smear it on some white fish fillets (often cod or river cobbler) and then 'roll' the filletd and secure with a cocktail stick before baking.
    I'd use it a lot more but I find it is so high in fat :( And I have to admit, I've only used the jar version and have never made it - does it really taste much different?

12. Si N. Tiffick

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

As nice and as useful jarred pesto is, it tastes about as much like the fresh stuff as a Pot Noodle does a Pad Thai. They are worlds apart. Nowt wrong with the bought stuff, but it is a mile away from freshly made pesto. It's not hard to do, especially if you use a food processor.

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

15. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Hmm... I haven't got a food processor (not enough space in the kitchen sadly) but I might give it a go....

16. Do you have a blender?
    That works just as well - I don't have a FP either.

17. As to the difference - well, of course, there is one.
    The jar stuff is perfectly ok (as you will have noticed, we all use it!) but if you make it yourself, it is much more...subtle and basily! It is also not as bright neon green!

18. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Ok, you have convinced me - it shall be one of my things to make next weekend (Im going to need to cook lots to keep myself busy). And CQ I have a hand blender and attachments so I shall definitely be using that :)

19. Bash the pine nuts first with a rolling pin in a freezer bag.

20. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Thanks for the tip! I have some strong bags I keep just for these sorts of things (bashing biscuits for cheesecakes, walnuts for coffee and walnut cake etc)