1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Perth - help please

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by JWTBH, Jul 8, 2011.

  1. JWTBH

    JWTBH New commenter

    Stuck. Immigration website does not have teaching listed as a 'skilled worker immigration' job. Is it impossible to be sponsored by the state to work as a teacher in Western Australia?? Is this also the case in Melbourne?
    Thanks in advance of your replies.
  2. Yes it does, but not Primary teachers anymore on the SOL3 (the list needed for a 175 visa, or the independant skilled migrant visa), just Nursery and Secondary teachers. link here: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule3.pdf
    All teachers are still on the SOL4, so if you get a state to sponsor you, you can still apply for a 176 visa. You need to look on the SMPs for each state to see what they are/aren't sponsoring.
    <address> For Primary teachers you can be sponsored by SA, but they are currently closed (and no idea when they will reopen, they don't seem to know themselves, it was meant to be 1st July grrr) You can't view the list at the moment, but they have indicated they will not be taking Primary teachers off. But then they said they would definately be open by 1st July, so who knows?. VIC only have Secondary and Nursery as well (http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/225920/10609_DVC_Eligibility_list_update_DD3.pdf) I don't think teachers are on WA at all, but can't seem to get it to load at the moment.
    </address><address> </address><address>For the others just google the state name and SMP (State migration plan).</address><address> </address><address>(Sorry about the itallics - can't seem to turn it off).

  3. JWTBH

    JWTBH New commenter

    Thank you. I appreciate your reply. I'm not sure I understand yet all the abbreviations but,.. it's a great starting point.

    Thanks again
  4. WA = Western Australia SA = South Australia VIC = Victoria NT, ACT, TAS, QLD, NSW are the other States, you can guess those :p
    SMP - state migration plan - the list of jobs that each state nominates to allow you to apply for State Sponsorship (SS) (see below).
    SOL = the list of jobs that are eligible for Permenant Residency (PR) visas (the standard visa that allows you to work there), under the General Skilled Migration stream (GSM) (sorry, can't remember exactlywhat it stands for lol).SOL3 is the general one, SOL4 is the SS one.
    You have to have an eligble job to qualify to apply for a visa. Then you have to get 65 points on the points list. The points system changed on 1st July this year, so there is new literature to help:
    Points list here:
    and further explaination here :
    175 - the PR visa that allows you to live anywhere in Australia straight away. Takes about 12-18 months to be granted at the moment.
    176 - the PR visa that goes through a LOT quicker, it is State (or family, but State is more usual) Sponsored, and means you give a moral commitment to live in your sponsoring state for 2 years after arrival. Being granted in about 2-6 months at the moment depending on circumstances.
    Visa wizard here:
    This asks you questions to find which visa you need, and what they mean :)
    You'll get used to it all if you go forward with an application, its not that hard to get your head around :) Good luck :)
  5. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    So have you shipped anything or sold it all off? We probably do have lots we could sell but I'd considered taking most of it to avoid having to rebuy it all...
    Will see what my OH gets told by the company that want him (we'd be in NSW). May come and pick your brain further then [​IMG] Thanks for everything so far.x

Share This Page