1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Persuasive writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mprimaryz, Jan 30, 2012.

1. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Hello folks I'm really bored with my lack of ideas. I'm after issues for my children to write persuasive arguments for. I've done the usual over the years... school uniform vs no school uniform, break time vs no break time, easy to bed vs late to bed... I'm in need of new topics to write about that will also get the kids stuck in. Also, if anybody can tell me how to do paragraphs on this thing I'd owe you one!

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

How about nominating a friend for a "Golden" award, or something similar.
    Then you can set criteria, e.g. that the winner of the award must show good friendship, good effort in school and ... something else. That will lead handily into structuring writing using paragraphs to address each point in turn.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not sure what age you are thinking of...

How about 'all electrical devices should be switched off after 7pm in the interests of the environment' or something similar.

Or 'footballers should be paid less than teachers'.

4. etakbennett

etakbennett New commenter

Children should be allowed a facebook page. All children should have a mobile phone. Children should earn their pocket money.
    These all depend on what year though.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Not sure what age you have but what you describe doing sounds like a discursive piece of writing or argument.
    We are doing persuasive writing at the moment. One piece the children enjoyed was pretending to be the prime minister who is persuading the nation not to panic when an epidemic is spreading across the world. Some good ideas and imaginative writinbg came out of this.
    I always make mine plan what will be written in each paragraph. That kind of sorts out paragraphs.

6. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

I can see how you might think that but I would only pick one of the issues and make sure it is heavily weighted to one side with a brief acknowledgement of the counter. It is for year 6 children

7. This is the structure my school uses: What I think, Why I think it 1(strongest argument), Why I think it 2(next strongest), I can see your point, Why I still think it.

8. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Sorry I just read this and was wondering why people are telling me how to do paragraphs blah blah blah when what I actually meant was how do you do paragraphs on this forum. I always press enter to leave a line but when I post a message it is never set in paragraphs. I think I'm good with the whole persuasive layout. Just the usual themes and topics that I am in need of inspiration. Thanks for the help though

9. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We used a picture stimulus of a local lake that was in a poor state, and the task was to write a letter to the council urging them to take action. It didnt seem particularly whizzy at the time but the children got really into it.

10. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

paragraphs on here need with a p in between the arrows.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOLOL But you KNOW that what you write and what everyone reads are not always the same thing!
    I'm on chrome. Between each paragraph I have to type a back arrow (less than sign) a small p and a forward arrow (greater than sign) as a little 3 letter word kind of thing.

To just start a new line (I know you didn't ask this, but I've only just learned and so want to show off) but not a new paragraph you do the same thing but with a Br in-between the arrows.

12. Oops sorry I am guilty of not reading your post properly. I can't be bothered to add all the arrows etc required for paragraphs, which forces me to keep my posts short and sweet...

13. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

chuckle
    Chuckle

14. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Testing testing

15. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

It works!

16. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

A variation to Minniemix's idea could be energy saving in school. Persuading others to turn off lights and computers etc when not in use. TeachShare may provide a few ideas