1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

persuasive writing year2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by susiec08, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Please, anybody......................................

2. deanow

deanow New commenter

Hi. I thought persuasive writing was introduced in Year 4. Certainly my Year 2 class would find it a very difficult concept but here's what I did last year on a placement in a Year 4 class.
    We watched lots of adverts, talked about which ones worked and why, which ones they liked and why. They then looked at magazine ads for familiar products- shampoo, chocolate, juice and pulled out specific vocabulary, talked about the images used, the audience they were aimed at etc. We looked at a TV ad and a magazine ad for bottled water to find similarities and differences and they then designed their own poster advertising[​IMG] their own brand of water. It culminated in the children writing and producing their own TV ads which I filmed. The class teacher and head watched them with us and we used them for self and peer assessment. Every day, they took turns persuading me why their table should be the first to go out to play - an idea from a forum on here I think - which worked a treat in reinforcing the need to select words and phrases to appeal to a specific audience.
    Not sure I'd want to attempt this unit with Year 2 if I'm honest but good luck!

3. Thanks for your reply. I too thought this was a ks2 concept but here I am trying to teach it!
    They have struggled today and I looked at adverts.
    Decided to try some shared writing tomorrow using some silly inventions.

4. What about persuasive speeches about who is the best book character and why?

5. Or why they/ their friend should be chosen for star of the week?