1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Persuasive Speeches

Discussion in 'English' started by emilie2007, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Hello all
    I have to teach Year 7 Persuasive Speeches for the first couple of weeks back after Easter. have lots of bits and pieces on persuasive writing per se but wondered if anyone had a fresh approach to teaching what can be a somewhat dry and done-to-death topic?
    Any help would be much appreciated
    Emilie

2. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

I love doing persuasive speeches! I have a differentiated sheet (I teach mixed ability year 7) which lists different techniques for them to identify in a recorded speech - I think it's MLK's I have a dream speech but I haven't used it for a couple of years now. I also have a Jesse Jackson speech from the 1980s and a Barack Obama speech (why is it all Americans?!). We watch and analyse them in varying ways dependent upon years. My year 11s loved Jesse Jackson to the extent than when we watched Barack Obama's inaugaral speech for coursework they were bored stiff.
    Then they can write and do their own - possibly consider a balloon debate scenario, either where they speak as themselves or as important characters throughout history, favourite fictional characters etc etc. Then they can also practise researching skills and group work.
    With the US elections coming up in the next few months, maybe you could build it around them, looking at various politicians use of language - George W Bush would be good for a laugh if nothing else! I often find that students respond to political issues much more than I expect - they have some quite strong opinions and are interested in things. For instance, when we looked at Jesse Jackson, my year 11s began by laughing at his mention of those with AIDS, but when we did some research into the initial AIDS outbreak and how people were treated, they became horrified.
    I'm not sure if this is a fresh enough approach!

3. Thank you for taking the time to reply, especially as you have given such a detailed response - much appreciated.
    I am keen to get away from MLK, Jesse Jackson etc as by GCSE, my experience is that the students have often come back to these same texts several times. I do, however, love the idea of approaching the topic through S&L, especially a balloon debate so will give that a bash! Thanks again

4. cupcake1788

cupcake1788 New commenter

Another good way to approach persuasive techniques is through game shows. I looked at Golden Balls with my KS3 and KS4 pupils and they loved it. There are some resources on the TES which are amazing but I am happy to email you my lessons. Persuasive techniques can be a boring topic so game shows worked really well for me!

5. I use a video recording available on Youtube. It's a Canadian 13 year old delivering a speech to a UN summit on environmental issues. Whilst it's a few years old now, many of the issues she raises are still current and touch a chord with our students. Also, the fact that she is not much older/ similar age to them seems to impress. Lots of examples of persuasive devices being used. I use it with Year 7 and many of our students remember this speech for years to come, often requesting to watch it again when they reach GCSE.
    Worth a look- search for "Severn Suzuki" on Youtube, it should come up.