1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Perspective - we are lucky

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by gmailcom, Jul 17, 2019.

1. gmailcom

gmailcom New commenter

This job is undoubtedly tough and I've experienced some of the tough stuff and got through it, with help.

But I think as teachers we need to remember that other professionals/well qualified people have it tough too. Recently spent a weekend with my uni friends, and it was comforting to know teachers are not the only ones who have it tough:

- a barrister who works 80 hours a week, often gets cases 12 hours before representing them in a court in another city
    - an NHS accountant who is subjected to regular department restructures and job re-applications
    - a guy with a phd who is curently working part time in Marks and Spencer, such is the competition for academic jobs

Teaching has almost broken me a couple of times but I'm still proud to be (and proud still to be!) a primary school teacher.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I don't think anyone on here has ever said only teachers have it tough.

You're happy in teaching, great. But there are others who aren't, and I'm not sure the whole 'count your blessings' tack will help them at present.

pepper5, moggycat, silversoo and 5 others like this.
  3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

4. princesslegend

princesslegend Occasional commenter

Agree with above. As an side though... I'm not sure I can feel much pity for those who havent had to spend hundreds, if not thousands of pounds of their own money on supplies FOR WORK because of such ridiculous cuts.
    They can come talk to me when they've had to feed other people's children and wash their clothes.

5. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

To an extent, I agree. It depends how bad the job is though. At the moment, it's OK so I can feel sympathy. When I'd been trying for a baby for 18 months, was working 60-70 hours a week, found myself threatened with capability and was feeling suicidal I would probably have belted anyone who told me to count my blessings. Likewise, a couple of years ago when some of the past traumas came back to haunt me.
    In some ways, I feel more sorry for people who aren't well qualified and are probably going to be on the minimum wage for most or all of their working lives.

agathamorse and CWadd like this.
  6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I think what we all say is the bit of the teaching job we think we need to do is great. The bit of the teaching job which is imposed upon us by SLT, ofsted, and the like is a huge waste of our time. When I started teaching, I worked lots of hours, but I directed the hours and I felt good about those extra hours. Now, the extra hours are directed for teachers and they don’t feel good about it.

The job, being a teacher, is life affirming. The rubbish imposed by others is parasitical and a waste of money spent chasing ideological unicorns.

7. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Also teachers in nice steady permanent contracts should count their blessings when there are those on temporary and supply contracts and no school offers a permanent contract because of the history and it becomes a Catch 22. (I think it should be illegal to not offer permanent contracts based on work history, call it temporal prejudice. PREJUDICE.

agathamorse and Mermaid7 like this.
  8. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

The more I read the opening post the more irritated I feel. Teachers go through redundancies, 70 hour weeks...And there are those deemed no longer suitable for teaching becauae of their age or subject forced into poorly paid jobs that do not utilise their skills.

So no, I'm afraid I can't feel sympathy for the friends you mention. I'll save that for those on this forum who are having a **** time of it.

And yes, @scienceteachasghost - there are good people out there unable to get a perm job. I feel for them. Yet I'm supposed to feel empathy for a barrister who will likely earn umpteen more than a teacher. No.

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

A very large number of barristers eek out a meagre income working on legal aid cases that pay next to nothing (and in some cases end up costing the barrister to run. Being a criminal barrister is not an easy life...

10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Fair point.

Nanny Ogg likes this.
  11. 1970devon

1970devon Occasional commenter

I loved being a teacher for some time. BUT have been pushed out of two posts I loved when new inexperienced heads took over. I am now medically unfit to teach and my consultants at hospital argue that teaching for 25years has had a huge impact on me. At 48, if I had my time again, I would not choose to teach. Friends of mine that trained at the same time are partners in Legal practices, partners in GP practices, consultants, international biochemists, property developers, psychiatrists and all earn more than I did. As do friends that took up trades such as mechanics, plumbers, roofers etc. The best part about teaching was the young people I made a difference to. I now work with adults with special needs and the emotional rewards are similar, I am paid purely for the hours I work and nobody expects any more than me. The education system is seriously flawed. I'm forever jaded but perhaps would have agreed with your post 15 years ago.

12. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Well said.

13. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Many professions/jobs are stressful, involve long hours and often come with low rates of pay.

The average classroom-based secondary teacher earns 39k and has 12/13 weeks a year holiday. This is an awful lot more better than what the average UK employee gets.

14. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Just to be clear, I didn’t mean to write ‘more better’...

sparklepig2002 and yodaami2 like this.
  15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Your grammar is more worse than normal!;)

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

...it should be 'more worser' shouldn't it?

I agree with the OP that teachers have it no worse than anyone else.
    Sometimes it seems like the world is ending...been there done that.
    Sometimes it seems fab.
    But overall, for the profession as a whole, it isn't a terrible one in which to be.

sparklepig2002 and phlogiston like this.
  17. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Arguably, teaching is low paid for the (unseen) hours you have to put in. Yes, I know doctors and lawyers who work more hours, but they can afford to pay for nannies/people to clean their houses, so unlike most teachers, they don't have to clean after a long day/worry they'll be ten minutes late for nursery pick up. I'm sure there are exceptions though.

CWadd and agathamorse like this.
  18. donrickles

donrickles New commenter

I feel for you. I understand how you feel, I feel it too.

1970devon, silversoo and agathamorse like this.
  19. donrickles

donrickles New commenter

I was surprised that when I spent time working in industry. I found most kept to the working hours of their contract. They were paid overtime if they did stay longer. They qualified for 6 weeks holiday and could buy 2 weeks more. On top of this 5 days bank holidays. Total of 9 weeks. Salary was similar to teaching depending on experience.

At times I think teachers are there own worst enemy. Working unpaid over time the contract states 32.5 hrs wk 1265 year. By all means work extra but it is a choice not directed.

1970devon and agathamorse like this.
  20. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

To my mind this logic has a flaw. It seems rather like claiming the man with head in the guillotine is not so badly off look at two others, he's getting burnt at the stake and she's going through the meeatgrinder feet first. All three are in a terrible.

To say "it is comforting to know teachers are not the only ones who have it tough" fails to focus on the why. That the current situation is quite unnecessary. That the government can 'find' money when it wants to.