1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personality

Discussion in 'Personal' started by msmuse, Apr 17, 2012.

1. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

I am a big fan of America's Next Top Model and Tyra is constantly nagging the models to 'work on their personality.' I keep hearing this, and I know my personality could do with a makeover! Is it possible to change/improve your personality, or is it an innate thing that is a product of nature and (early) nurture, which in actual fact can't effectively be changed at all? Personally, I can't see how a person's personality can be changed permanently. Perhaps temporarily for example following hypnotism, but for ever?

2. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

I am a big fan of America's Next Top Model and Tyra is constantly nagging the models to 'work on their personality.' I keep hearing this, and I know my personality could do with a makeover! Is it possible to change/improve your personality, or is it an innate thing that is a product of nature and (early) nurture, which in actual fact can't effectively be changed at all? Personally, I can't see how a person's personality can be changed permanently. Perhaps temporarily for example following hypnotism, but for ever?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I don't think overall it can be but I think it can be tuned with a concious effort (trying to be less aggressive, listening to people more, etc) When you watch people on The Biggest Loser etc big changes do seem to affect personality for the better (or worse!) so its an interesting discussion. x

4. It is a load of tosh.
    Anyone who tries to be something they are not, will fall flat on their face.
    As long as you are not harming others, be yourself. Allow yourself to be loved for what you are, warts and all.
    We all have good bits and bad bits.
    I am a bit of a hothead. It used to bother me, as I would feel guilty about it.
    Nowadays, I have come to realise that it is a part of my personality that those who know me find endearing. "Oh heck, she is off on one again."
    They know it is over within a couple of minutes, and then I am a purry ***** cat again. And I always apologise and make up. My mouth is just sometimes quicker than my rational brain ;o)
    Don't fight what you are - be what you are with heart and soul and make no apologies for it.
    (this does not give you the licence to make others' lives a misery).

5. bed

bed New commenter

Tyra Banks telling girls they've not got enough personality ??? Pots and kettles!!!

6. I abhor the whole model world. It wrecks lives.
    For every Claudia Schiffer, Naomi Campbell or Heidi Klum, millions of girls are promised a life of glory and end up with a life of misery and a plethora of complexes to boot (and also no money and bad health).
    It is a despicable world. I refuse to watch the programmes.

7. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

I appreciate your point but nobody holds a gun to these girls' heads and press gangs them into the world of modelling. Or as I once heard a **** director say ' I would not say it is making **** which f*cks people up, more that a lot of 'f*cked up people enter the world of ****'.

8. I thoroughly enjoy watching ANTM. On a recent programme I saw, a girl was ejected for having an obvious eating disorder with a lecture from Tyra about being healthy. A lot of emphasis is placed on good, healthy eating. Designers and photographers want slim girls but not girls who are skeletal - nobody thinks that is a good look.
    Reputable agents wouldn't touch girls that have eating disorders - there is more to being a model than just being slim. They wouldn't have the stamina for the work if they weren't healthy anyway.
    I think that personality they refer to is really about being confident. They are all young and haven't yet learned how to pretend confidence even if they don't feel it. I was the same at 18. It comes with time and practice.

9. Whenever I've tried to alter something about myself, I've probably just appeared... odd. That's not to say I don't modify certain personality traits around certain people - social survival, etc.

10. I dont know who Tyra is ........ but does she mean social skills?
    - the way the girls interact with others....... or presenting a confident persona.....?
    This would be a bit different to changing/altering personality.

11. Perhaps the girls lack sparkle? Some people do...and I imagine the narcissism rife in the world of modelling and celebrity might deplete the stocks of sparkle left in those who preen and want to look good for a living. They want the limelight and to be looked at. They must be so self-absorbed.
    I am actually beginning to like Kate Moss - mainly because she doesn't seem as vain as some others....and seems pretty human and flawed most of the time. I think Naomi Campbell is completely up her own a.rse, so much so in fact that she is imo the personification of 'dull' and 'stupid'. When she opens her mouth it's pretty apparent too. She's done alright for herself on it but she is not at all likeable.
    I guess most people only get a snap-shot of our personality anyway...unless they know us really well and spend a good deal of time with us. There are many facets to our personalities, aren't there?

12. 576

576 Established commenter

No, you can't change your personality.
    However, you can change your behaviour, how you conduct yourself and how you come across.

13. Most people have said it but I agree Tyra probably means confidence and expressing who you are, whoever that is - not changing. I also agree she TRIES to promote being healthy and I love it when larger models go on the programme - even if 'larger' means a size 10-12 in the UK! I like Tyra, I think she's funny and goofy and not afraid to act the fool.

14. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

I really enjoy ANTM - and Tyra does seem genuine if a little wacky! There have been many girls on the programme who are really quiet and sweet and just couldn't do the whole effusive, confident thing if their lives depended on it. That can't be permanently changed to become a natural personality trait - and shouldn't have to be IMHO.
    I do agree that behaviour can be worked on though. I need to work on becoming more patient and to think before I open my mouth! I can't become naturally confident and self-assured though.