1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personality clash or bullying?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by good_karma1, Mar 10, 2012.

1. I've just come off the phone (an hour and a half) with a teaching colleague I admire and respect enormously. The HT constantly undermines the teacher although the chidren and parents hold them in high regard and the results the teacher gets every year are excellent. I have always known this person to be hardworking and optimistic but the HT seems to pick on the most ridiculous things. The teacher sucessfully went through threshold but only after not being discouraged when the HT initally said the everyone else was on a pay freeze so why should they expect aa payrise?!!!! This teacher has tried several times to have discussions with the HT about the put-downs, loss of PPA time etc but the HT is either volatile or hysterical (crying) and then twist s to others what has actually been said. I really do not think this teacher should just give into this and become ill. They have copied the last conversation with the HT to the HT and the union rep to seek some resolution to this painful situation. The HT has advised an informal chat with the union rep and HR present. What can this teacher now expect. I do want to be supportive and practical. Thanks

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I await replies eagerly as I also have a head who makes poor judgements, undermines and puts down staff and is generally mean and spiteful on a regular basis, affecting people's career progression at times. We're thinking about lodging a vote of no confidence in our head but not sure if life will be worth living afterwards.

3. I hope there will be too. It seems some HTs are very good at the 'divide and rule' approach with morale compass and integrity long-forgotten attributes. Yet there are more teachers than HTs, and bullying seems to be on the rise. Surely it's time to find a way to put an end to this, before we lose great teachers unlucky enough to find themselves with not very great role models! I wonder how truly excellent HTs feel when they hear about bullying and know that is no way to run an establishment which helps to form the values of children.

4. Also please could you let me know if anyone has been therough this process and my friend can expect? Thanks

5. Why not get in touch with Torey or Iconoclastic - regularly on this forum and providing good advice for dealing with difficult heads.

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Thank you - although there's so many problems I don't know where to start. I will ask advice from them, we need to do something.

7. Thanks for that. Anything appreciated :)