1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Personal Trainer to PE Instructor

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by elcaplin, Oct 30, 2018.

  1. elcaplin

    elcaplin New commenter

    Hi, I'm 52 years old and can't afford to do a degree at university. I hold a Level 3 Personal Trainer qualification and Exercise Referral. I need a practical PE training course which will enable me to get work as a PE Instructor in secondary or primary schools and / or abroad. I've recently coached primary after school clubs doing boxing sessions and fun fitness. I am currently DBS cleared and raring to go! I would either need a part time course, or work, learn and earn at the same time.

    Any advise would be amazing!

  2. stopwatch

    stopwatch Lead commenter

    First of all, I assume that you mean a job as a PE teacher, rather than instructor. PE Instructors in schools disappeared in the 1950's.

    What I am about to say will probably come across as negative and maybe not so nice, but I think you need to know the likely realities of your situation.

    My comments would be as follows:
    • There is unlikely to be a course like the one you are describing, which will qualify you as a PE teacher.
    • Your abilities seem limited (boxing and fun fitness). Unless you are able to teach the major team and individual games, plus gymnastics, athletics and maybe even dance and/or swimming, you are going to find it difficult.
    • At 56*, you will be competing against newly qualified 20 somethings, plus 30/40 year olds with extensive experience. *I would estimate you would be at least 56 before you even qualified.
    • Decent overseas schools require at least 2 years full teaching experience. Many countries would not give you a work visa unless you have a 'proper' teaching qualification.
    My advice would be to build up the range of coaching qualifications you have and work with a company who provides PE cover in Primary Schools.
    micu_lucian_stefan likes this.
  3. elcaplin

    elcaplin New commenter

    Thanks for that. I have been working in Primary Schools doing after school PE cover as you suggested and hear what you are saying. Appreciate the response.
  4. stopwatch

    stopwatch Lead commenter

    From this point I would suggest that you develop your 'status' within this field.

    Do additional coaching qualifications, perhaps contact a company who provides the service to schools and see if you can do some supervisory/management role, approach local primary schools and see if they would be interested in mini competitions, look at offering paid sports clubs at the weekend.

    I think you will need to be quite inventive and use your initiative to create your own opportunities a little.
  5. Hi, i was in a very similar situation four years ago. I was a personal trainer and exercise referral specialist getting tired of individuals coming to me with a variety of physiological and biomechanical issues but only being able to help a few and i wanted to make a difference. What i did before started formal Physical education training, was to approach my local sport trusts to work with them in schools as a part of extra curricula activities. This then led to me taking a variety of in house primary school PE lessons and allowed me to gain a greater understanding of the subject. Despite allowing me to gain experience, this role engaged with students to promote lifelong participation in physical activity.

  6. Hi

    I am a swimming teacher and a Personal Trainer.
    I know how to play a variety of sports team sports as well as individual sports as well
    Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Tenis, Ice skating, I am a Football referee,
    I am based in London and I am looking into becoming a PE Teacher

    Would you please tell me what course would i need to do to become a PE Teacher

    Thank you
  7. stopwatch

    stopwatch Lead commenter

    Hello There, unfortunately, I am unable to answer your question as well as many others would. I qualified back in 1979, when it was a BEd course. I'm not sure what the pathway would be for someone like yourself. I have also not worked in UK since 2001 and am now retired.
  8. bedby9

    bedby9 New commenter

    There is no shortage of qualified PE teachers. To become a PE Teacher I would strongly recommend getting onto a Degree in the subject and then a SCITT or PGCE. The knowledge of how to play sports is simply not enough. Our profession is so much more than that. Head teachers and schools, especially in London have the pick of quite a few PE teaching Factories/Universities.

    Sorry, I am being harsh, but there is a huge difference between a PT and a Qualified PE teacher. The ability to control and engage up to 46 students in a lesson of High Jump is very different to giving a PT session or even swimming lesson to around 1-10 paying clients!

    Best route? Go to Uni and then apply for SCITT, or PGCE.

    But there may be a few academies that would employ you as an unqualified PE teacher, at around 18k - 20k a year. But they are simply doing this as a cost cutting exercise without understanding the benefits of a qualified PE teacher, and they eventually end up changing their mind and getting rid on the grounds of the ability to teach examined PE, and then recruit a qualified teacher.

    Good luck.

Share This Page