1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal Statements

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by parkesmatt, Jun 25, 2019.

1. parkesmatt

parkesmatt New commenter

Hi everyone!

My wife finished uni 6 years ago and has always struggled to get interviews for he jobs she is applying for. She started in supply, followed by some long term posts, but was made redundant last July.

The long term posts both came through supply work, so didn't go through the formal application procedure. Out hit rate this summer is very low, just 2 interviews from 30 applications.

Given that most of the application form for jobs is factual, we spend most of out time on the personal statement. However, neither of us is sure what a good one actually looks like.

Is anyone willing to share the personal statement they submitted for the job they ended getting. I understand that each one will differ based on what the school was looking for, buy a general idea would be helpful.

Any advice that might be useful for personal statements would also be welcome.

Thanks!

2. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

I don't know why but I am surprised by the the fact that you use the word "our" to refer to "her" applications.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Reading the job spec and seeing whether she has the experience to match it is the best advice I can think of. A good personal statement gives specific examples of what the candidate has achieved and how.

4. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

I replied to this on the Jobseekers forum.

5. parkesmatt

parkesmatt New commenter

Thank you to all for their responses so far.

Agathamorse - I will check out the book you recommended - thanks.

CWadd - Wherever possible, we always go through the job/person spec and (physically) highlight each point as it is covered, adding examples wherever possible, We also go through and attempt to add additional information relevant to the school (such as mentioning her experience of using a particular programme where it is clear the school uses it etc.).

Regarding your reply to my other post, I agree, never having achieved a permanent post at a school probably isn't helping. Our problem is that more often than not, she is in the catch 22 position of schools commenting that they chose with someone with more experience, but without any school giving her a chance, that experience can never come (rant over).

She was in the same school for 4 consecutive years with rolling 1 year contracts, so there is a significant amount of CPD on her applications, but more is always a good thing. It is something she is improving over the coming summer.

I will do some further research on STAR - thanks.

PersiancatLady - i am surprised that you are surprised by my use of the term 'our'. As I see it, as a couple, we share everything. This means that she helps me with tasks I have where possible, and I do the same. Her getting a new job helps my financial security, just as much as it benefits her in so many ways, so it's in my interest to help her as much as possible. Ultimately, they are her applications, and she is responsible for 90% (ish) of the content. If i can contribute positively to them, i am more than willing to help.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. PersianCatLady

@parkesmatt
    I didn't explain myself very well but maybe by helping your wife you are unconsciously doing the statement in a way more suited to your field of expertise.

There is a website called Target Jobs that has some good advice in the advice section specific to teaching. Give me two minutes and I will get you some specific links.

7. PersianCatLady

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm surprised that you have been a member since 2011 and yet this is your only post and is about your wife applying for posts.
    And like someone else said, it does read as odd that you are writing this on behalf of your wife and appear to be writing applications with her. ('Our hit rate'?!)

After six years of applications, your wife really should be an expert at them by now...
    Problem is: she has no experience to write about in the sense of the long term impact of her work. A teacher who has been employed full time in a school for the last six years will have a lot more to write about in terms of contribution to school life, results, effecting change and so on.

Getting a long term post via supply is probably her best bet and then applying for a permanent post while in that long term one.

10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You share everything as a couple?

May I respectfully suggest you do not include job applications. As others have said, if you are co-writing it, it is possible "your" voice is coming through more than "her" voice.

11. PersianCatLady

This is what I was thinking as well but I did not describe it anywhere near as well as CWadd has!!

sabrinakat likes this.