1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal Statements

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by hannahrhiannon58, Dec 6, 2015.

1. hannahrhiannon58

hannahrhiannon58 New commenter

Hey,

I'm currently applying for a Pool and the guidelines for the personal statement say it should 1,200 words. This is proving to be difficult as there is so much information required in them. Does anybody know how much over I am able to go, if at all?

2. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

The pool? Not sure what that is.

UCAS requires 4000 characters max. Which was difficult. I guess it helps filter out waffle.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I assume you are referring to a central application for an NQT post? if so there are some very useful publications out there which can help- Prospects. ac.uk - Getting your first teaching post is the universities' careers service information and teaching unions also produce guides.
    This is very different form UCAS application you need to focus upon what you have learnt/how you have developed since starting ITT
    The key advice is to emphasise- why you want to work for that particular place and to identify your key skills and attributes. Do not use quotes and always get someone to check it for you- it is easy to miss something .
    Check out Theogriff on jobseekers page

4. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Assuming you mean an NQT pool?
    I'd look at a few teacher job specs and see what the common themes/requirements are. Then group them into similar points under a main subheading e.g. progress and assessment, differentiation, whole school or extra-curricular.
    For each section jot down your 2-3 best qualities/experiences/attributes. Make sure that your opening/closing paragraphs show who you are as a teacher and that should give you a strong statement.
    Crucially, don't try to say everything. Leave them wanting to interview you.